help with hard drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
use the whole space. partitions help nothing anymore... especially if your using a 60 gb only drive...

well then take the rest. I see no reason to leave any unpartitioned space...
I guess I'm confused as to what you are really asking here. Do you need to know what the capacity should be minus the fat space?

Inaris said:
use the whole space. partitions help nothing anymore... especially if your using a 60 gb only drive...

partitions are useful. they help organizing ur data and they are VERY useful when formatting ur OS' partition.

i guess. im asking how much do i use for my OS system that i will be putting in the NTFS partition. im already using i think 4.84 gigs for the fat 32 D disk. im currentloy using about 7.13 gigs for my NTFS. i want to take it up to maybe 14 gigs, how much is that in MB??

if you ant to suggest that i use the rest of the space minus the fat 32 space, how much would that be in MB??? is using the rest of the space safe???

is using the rest of the space safe???
and you have "Lets get Dangerous" in you custom text... funny...
here is my thinking on the use of partitions. If you are dual booting and have common files needed between WINDOS (95, 98, me)and WINNT (nt4, 2k, xp, 03) then create a fat partition and store them there. Leaving unpartitoned space is ok, as long as you use Dynamic disks which give the ability to expand on demand, but if you are not using dynamic disks then there is not any point to leaving unpartioned space.
if you are simply creating a partition to simple arrange your files, then you need to learn about proper folder use. There is not any need to use partitions in place of folders. it's pointless and makes for more trouble is something happens with your disk.
now comes backups. If you are using something like Ghost, then creating a 10gb system partition for the main OS, registry data and such is great because you can capture that with ghost and restore very easily to a known good state. Simular to XP's system restore feature, but a bit more brute force. Also it makes for creating backups very simple as you know it won't get over a certain size. The rest of the system storage is full capacity.
There is the situation where you want to be able to create new partitoiins in the future, say on SAN's but that is when you are dealing with terabytes of data. not simpley a few gb's. hope that helps...
to convert MB to KB, multiply by 1024. same for GB to MB. so 60 gb = 61440. but you need to know the MB capacity if you want to go that way. most 60GB drives are 60000 MB meaning they are actaully 58 or so gbs...

hope that helps

nah..i don't agree why partitions would be more trouble if something goes wrong. Its the oppostite, if u screw the OS partition ver badly and u have to format u can keep ur files.

make sure if you're going to have the primary o/s partition to be JUST for the o/s, add a fair amount of room for service packs and other such updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom