help with hard drive?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default help with hard drive??

im reinstalling windows on my NTFS partition, how uch MB do i have to make the partition??

radeon 9200 SE vid card :(
60 gig hardrive
32*Cd-rw and 16*DVD drive
17\" CRT monitor
mushkin 512 mb pc 3200
Old 11-02-2004, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

use the whole space. partitions help nothing anymore... especially if your using a 60 gb only drive...

Old 11-02-2004, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

i cant use the whole space cuz im using a partition D drive for my fat 32 just for data
60 gig hardrive
17\" CRT monitor
mushkin 512 mb pc 3200
Old 11-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

well then take the rest. I see no reason to leave any unpartitioned space...
I guess I'm confused as to what you are really asking here. Do you need to know what the capacity should be minus the fat space?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
Originally posted by Inaris
use the whole space. partitions help nothing anymore... especially if your using a 60 gb only drive...
partitions are useful. they help organizing ur data and they are VERY useful when formatting ur OS' partition.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

you can make ur NTFS partition any size u want.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

i guess. im asking how much do i use for my OS system that i will be putting in the NTFS partition. im already using i think 4.84 gigs for the fat 32 D disk. im currentloy using about 7.13 gigs for my NTFS. i want to take it up to maybe 14 gigs, how much is that in MB??

if you ant to suggest that i use the rest of the space minus the fat 32 space, how much would that be in MB??? is using the rest of the space safe???
60 gig hardrive
17\" CRT monitor
mushkin 512 mb pc 3200
Old 11-02-2004, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
is using the rest of the space safe???
and you have "Lets get Dangerous" in you custom text... funny...
here is my thinking on the use of partitions. If you are dual booting and have common files needed between WINDOS (95, 98, me)and WINNT (nt4, 2k, xp, 03) then create a fat partition and store them there. Leaving unpartitoned space is ok, as long as you use Dynamic disks which give the ability to expand on demand, but if you are not using dynamic disks then there is not any point to leaving unpartioned space.
if you are simply creating a partition to simple arrange your files, then you need to learn about proper folder use. There is not any need to use partitions in place of folders. it's pointless and makes for more trouble is something happens with your disk.
now comes backups. If you are using something like Ghost, then creating a 10gb system partition for the main OS, registry data and such is great because you can capture that with ghost and restore very easily to a known good state. Simular to XP's system restore feature, but a bit more brute force. Also it makes for creating backups very simple as you know it won't get over a certain size. The rest of the system storage is full capacity.
There is the situation where you want to be able to create new partitoiins in the future, say on SAN's but that is when you are dealing with terabytes of data. not simpley a few gb's. hope that helps...
to convert MB to KB, multiply by 1024. same for GB to MB. so 60 gb = 61440. but you need to know the MB capacity if you want to go that way. most 60GB drives are 60000 MB meaning they are actaully 58 or so gbs...

hope that helps
Old 11-02-2004, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

nah..i don't agree why partitions would be more trouble if something goes wrong. Its the oppostite, if u screw the OS partition ver badly and u have to format u can keep ur files.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

make sure if you're going to have the primary o/s partition to be JUST for the o/s, add a fair amount of room for service packs and other such updates.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread