Help formatting, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzou

Baseband Member
I would like to format my pc, theres so much rubbish on it i dont want, i just want to format the lot, i cant seem to get the boot disk to format or get my pc to boot of the disc, ive looked a tutorials but my boot disk is just stuck on A:/ it wont do anything, ive never really formatted before could anyone give me a detailed guide on it please?

Thanks in advance

Kyzou

you can put the winxp disk in, start the computer and reload windows. It will give you an option to format the drive in the setup. good luck.

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
"Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered."

i cant get past this, even tho it says continue is blanked out, my freind loaded this on and gave me the disc, how can i get past this ?

It says i can boot from disk, but im not to sure on how to order it the boot up, also what other settings need to be changed, like slave , master etc?

you are trying to run setup from window. you need to put the disk in the drive and then resart the computer to boot from the disk. try it first if it does not boot from the disk you will need to go into bios and set up the boot order to boot from the cd prior to the hard drive. you do not need to make any master/slave changes.

To Boot from the disc follow these Instructions.

Restart the computer, as soon as you do Hit F1, F2 or Delete until the CMOS Setup Screen pops up, then navigate to Boot priority, using the arrow keys change the first boot device to CD-ROM, Save settings to the CMOS by hitting F10, now pop in your Windows XP Disc, When prompted to do so, hit Enter to boot off disc, Allow time for windows disc to "Load" Up, Follow on screen instructions, Delete partition, Full format and Install windows..

All data will be erased, so make sure you have back ups.

ive just tryed it. it just boots normaly, no option at all ive checked the bios options is

1: CD
2: Hard drive
3: Flobby
4: Removables

In CMOS Setup there may be many similar screens to that, search around until you find the one where it says Specifically " Boot Priority" Or "Boot Order".

And if you screw something up you can always clear CMOS. :)

Btw you Have to hit Enter When it Prompts you to Boot off the Disc, if you do nothing it will just boot from the Harddrive....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom