Help...folder Access Denied

smurph

In Runtime
Right, i have been the only user on my PC for a long time.
I am adding my partner.
I wanted to deny access to one drive.
I denied access to all users the said drive, except admin (assumed this covered me).
I am an admin.
Now I can't access!
Tried a system restore, and of course it only goes back a bout 5 minutes after this change!
Please advise best way to rectify....

Right, i have been the only user on my PC for a long time.
I am adding my partner.
I wanted to deny access to one drive.
I denied access to all users the said drive, except admin (assumed this covered me).
I am an admin.
Now I can't access!
Tried a system restore, and of course it only goes back a bout 5 minutes after this change!
Please advise best way to rectify....
1. How do You know, that You are the admin?
2. If You denied access to something for all users, then the access is denied for all users (nb! even, if You're the admin of this computer, admin is also one of users of this folder, but not owner, not administrator)
3. I don't know, who are You, what privileges You have, what is the computer, what is the OS etc, but now log in as administrator (in administrator privileges) and if You can't remove back these changes, what You have made, then one, what You can do always, You can always take ownership of everything, if You're in administrator privileges.
If You have did this, then You're the owner of this folder, drive etc and then You can do what ever You want.
The other thing, what You can always do, is open the built in administrator account and then run computer with this account and You can do everything what You want.
If You don't know, what is built in administrator account, use Google search. There is million+ articles about it.
PS! Seems like You also don't know, that system restore is for restoring system files and settings, but not for restoring personal data and settings.

Thanks, will have a look. I have to admit i find it very confusing,. and when you talk about admin and administrator my head spins, this is not easy to follow, I have been used to a single user PC for so long.
NOTE that my sig says a win10 pc!
I am not logged in as THE administrator, but when I look at my profile, I am an administrator.
And I myself cannot reset this folder settings, I have tried.
I have googled for "how to open administrator account, and it only returns "App can't open using Built-in Administrator Account", so this is not easy to find.

carnageX - no idea what you mean, i didn't add anything?!
Joe C - perfect, issue resolved, many thanks.

Sorry for delay, have been unwell.
Anyway, thought this was resolved, but I now have have access to open the folder and view the files, but can't do anything with them, any ideas?

Last edited:
Sorry, this is all a bit beyond me.
I have 100s of folders and more files.
I just need to revert a drive and all it sub-folders back to the original permissions....surely it can't be this difficult?

Back
Top Bottom