Help with error: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud5437

In Runtime
Hello everyone I'm looking for some help. I have windows 7 and today for a virus or malware - process ran as qrr.exe stopping me from opening some programs. I had a look online and saw a few posts saying to find and delete the file. After some time (and not 100% sure of doing what) the process stopped coming up not now I have a different problem. I am unable to open anything, windows starts ok then if I try to open any program I get the following error:
'windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.'
Can anyone tell me how to sort this? I am using my iPhone to post this as I can't get online with the Pc.
Thanks for any help

Even in safe mode I get the same error. I have malwarebytes downloaded but i cant install it. 

I went into it's properties and there was a button saying 'unblock' so I clicked that. I then went to the security tab and changed all the ticks to allow.
What else can I do to take ownership?
Thanks very much for the help by the way

You need to go into Safe Mode and use rkill. After that you need to go through the Spyware Asylum. Dont bump your topic less than 2 hours after your last post.

As the saying goes, your lack of preparation doesnt constitute an emergency on for us to get the issue resolved.

We will assist you, but when we can. We are volunteers and are not paid for our time. We have other commitments as well such as family and jobs that we have to take care of as well.

Sorry for the dump.
I have ran rkill in safe mode (I downloaded and tried them all, none worked - just kept getting the same error when tried opening the file but each time I clicked ok the error came back. This happened for around 20-30 times then the program ran)
After around 30 seconds I got a log file saying processes terminated by RKill or while running:
(nothing)
RKill completed on .....

I'm still getting that error when I try to run any program?
Hope someone can help me here and thanks to all who have taken time for me so far

Is it just programs you're having trouble opening? Or do documents and files (e.g. pictures) open fine?

You can try fixing your .exe file association if programs refuse to open:
http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...ile-type-associations-restore-default_exe.reg
(Source: Default File Type Associations - Restore - Windows 7 Forums)

Save that .reg file to your computer, double click it to run it, and click "yes" when asked to merge it with the registry. It restores the default file associations with .exe files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom