Help With Defrag??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pull up Task Manager (ctrl + alt + delete). Click on the application tab. Click on each one and then click End Process.

Also, turn off your screen saver.

Control - alt- delete just restarts my computer...should i be looking for Task Manager somewhere else?

Also have tried many times to remove my screen saver but it always comes back. (I also have wallpaper at my control panel which i have not tried to remove).

Don't remove. Just choose none as your screen saver.

It's been a long time since I dealt with 98. Try right clicking the taskbar (the bar at the bottom of the screen) and choose Task Manager.

I have Windows 98 Second Edition!

Unfortunetly, the task manager is not located on the taskbar on Windows 98 Second Edition. Instead, it can be accessed by tapping "CTRL+ALT+DEL" once, very quickly of course. This old task manager doesn't have an application tab. Everything is all bunched up together.

End all the processes. Apart from "explorer" and "systray". These are your important programs. Make sure you don't have any documents, games, or programs running.

Perform the Scandisk scan.

Finally, defragment your hard drive.

Your computer may be affected by spyware. In short, these are undesirable programs that run in the background without your permission. If you want to, you can use a program to delete the unwanted spyware.

Don't worry. I don't think you've got any spyware. I think you've just installed too many programs on your hard drive.

I used to have the same problem; it is caused by the constant writing to the disk. I don't know what did it with me, but I didn't have very many programs and closed everything I could see to no avail. So do it in safe mode, in which only the minimal drivers are loaded. To do this, hold the CTRL button when your computer is booting, and when the options come up select safe mode. Run Scandisk and Defrag from there, then reboot normally.

I always ended up getting this problem when I used Windows 98, too. Rather than ending almost all of the processes under the task manager, I would just restart in Safe Mode and disable my screen saver. Running in Safe Mode automatically prevented the applications writing to the drive from starting up. It's just another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom