Help...data on my hard drive is no longer accessable

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietShaman

Beta member
I recently let in a very destructive virus...it got by AVG and SpyBot...

So I could use some help and would greatly appreciate assistance here...the virus wiped out some part of both my drive C: and D:....so when I rebooted I got an error of "missing operating system"....I then booted up a Vista Ultimate CD and had it do a boot repair...which it did flawlessly....all my drive C: programs and data are fully intact and the problem for C: has not repeated.

My problem is that the Drive D: comes up with the message "You need to Format the Disk in Drive D: before you can use it. Format Drive D: ? " every time I try to access it...all my previously year's photos and written work are stored on it. I'm sure this virus just screwed with the first few drive sectors on D: as it did with C:, and which the Windows boot disc fixed in seconds flat....any ideas about how I can recover this drive...I'm currently not able to work because of a disability and the cost of sending it off to a data recovery center would be beyond my means right now.

Thanks for any help that any of you could extend....Charles

Is this on one or two hard drives ?
If you have 2 partitions on one hdd and vista is asking you to reformat the drives partition, I'm sorry to say this but there might not be a way around this.
When you got hit by that virus something must have gotten very screwed up when those partitions.

However though if you have a hdd that has the OS and the other that has data you might get everything back.
But thats if you managing 2 hdd's to keep some things seperate as I have stated above.

For the 2 hdd's trick, make the hdd that has OS a master take other hdd and make it a slave by setting the hard drives jumpers accordingly as states how to place them.

Do NOT double post the same topic!!!

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/hard-drive-murdered-please-help-220405/

Simple answer, FORMAT IT. The drive got corrupted and could possibly even still be infected. Trying to do anything with the drive/partition now is the worst thing to do. As you could easily corrupt your install yet again and force you to even further problems.

Format the drive, use Recovery Software to get the data back. Also next time BACKUP your personal data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom