HELP! Computer Won't Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauravii

Beta member
I hope someone can help. I'm running Win2k, P-4, 2.8 ghz. I built it myself. No problem. Six months later, it occasionally does not detect my DVD drive. I checked all wiring and all is fine. It won't shut down, unless I push the power button. It currently will lock up, after hitting the start button to shut down. I do the ctrl-alt-delete, and there's nothing to end. My screen eventually turns white. Then pops up the ending program which is Sony's Sonic software. Sometimes I go to shut down by pushing the power button and I get a message saying, you do not have that option. Something is using your DLA?

Well, that just doesn't sound healthy. What steps have you taken to try to fix this?

You need to clean out any adware or spyware that might be lurking on it.

You need to use 'msconfig' and see what all is starting up with Windows, and uncheck everthing (Win2000 does not require any startup apps).

You need to ditch any programs you do not use, as they could be causing conflicts.

You need to go to Device Manager and check for any conflicts that there might be.

And you need to do a complete virus scan of your computer, just to be sure. There are many free online scans.

Try these and see what happens.

msconfig? I tried typing that into the run and it said, cannot find file or one of it's components. What I've done is gone into Safe mode, did a scan disk, a Norton virus scan, got rid of a software program that I think may have been the culpret. I did the ad ware scan, virus, etc.

When I went to restart in safe mode, it did reboot. So far the same in regular mode.

yea well....it obviously sounds like a serious virus. probably a Trojan of some sort...your better off backing up as many files as neccessary and formatting your PC. doesnt seem like anything you can do.

Formatting is not always the best option, especially if someone has a lot of stuff on their hard drive.

Went to the MSCONFIG download, and totally got lost? Too many buttons and files to retrieve from and to? Thanks for all your advise. I'm not sure what is going on, and am about to throw this PC out the window. LOL Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom