Help with CMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalk4

In Runtime
WHen i try to get into CMD in windows I get the message C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.com THE NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:b701 IP:ecf7 OP:ff fe ff ff -- Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I have no idea what to do about this but any help would be great.

Re:

Hello,

Sounds like a virus to me...

Check to see if you can open your registry editor...go to Start > Run > Type regedit and enter...

What happens?

I'd also scan your system for viruses, and at the very least, download and run http://download.hijackthis.eu/hijackthis_199.zip to help identify and log possible spyware and malware.

You can take the log file and publish it for analysis in the subforum in the Tech Forums - HijackThis Logs (analyze), 'Virus - Spyware Protection / Detection' forum.

It might be because you're calling the wrong program.

CMD is cmd.exe
COMMAND is command.com

Try opening the cmd program from the actual file and see if it works, it's located at c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

royalk4 said:
WHen i try to get into CMD in windows I get the message C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.com THE NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:b701 IP:ecf7 OP:ff fe ff ff -- Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I have no idea what to do about this but any help would be great.

Hello,

If he were to run command.com, it still shouldn't generate an error such as this. It should just bring up a command line interface with the user's account directory as default.

And I've just noticed something. Royalk4 quoted the error message, with the file C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.com. The file cmd.com is not a system file. cmd.exe is.

Such fake .com files are linked to threats such as the Alcra and Alcan worms, as well as several others.

to backup alvin's post
Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cmd.com
'cmd.com' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>dir /s cmd.com
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is FC3F-37B9
File Not Found

C:\>

i say run malware scans stat!!!

Ok so I made a log in the highjack this thread. and am currently running an AV scan. I use Avira AntiVir as my AV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom