help about the software! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation help about the software!

i have windows xp professional on my comp. i d/l the ps2 from online. ( its not a mac or dell). my prob: a screen reading.."windows can not start because a file is either missing or corrupted in d:windows/system32/config".
it says that i should put in my cd and press r for repair.
i have looked around online, it suggests that i restart in safe mode or last known configuration. it offers an alternate solution that requires that i am able to go to into comp to create folder etc.
problem is:
* i dont have my cd with me, and i will need to use my comp up and running very soon.
* safe mode and last know config didnt work. i tried it a few times.
* i cant try the alternate solution cuz i cant even get into my comp.
TWO questions:
1). any solution ideas?
2). i am tihnking about just getting a new cd since it will be avaliable to me sooner. price varies with software. what cd should i buy that would work? does it matter? pro? home? pro upgrade? home upgrade? pro with sp2? home with sp2? any reliable comp site recommendation? thanks a bunch!

Old 03-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member (again)
Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

If you have tried repair, then yes, you pretty much have no other option than formatting your drive and reinstalling XP.

If you can find a copy of XP that is cheap (and legal, don't forget that) then I would suggest getting a SP2 disk. If you can find a SP1 disk for less, then go for that and download the SP2 update after install.

As for Home or Professional, I recommend Home, unless there is some weird reason that you HAVE to use Pro...

Debian Support Forums!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

make a folder is all??? well, then all you need is a boot disk boot to dos and use the dos command md (stands for make directory) and type in whatever. Guess if you REALLY wanted to get into windows (and not sure if this'll work in XP) you can go into dos, type edit system.ini (should be in root c) and then change the shell=explorer.exe to say shell=progman.exe press control + f and save and exit. Reboot and that'll get you into program manager to further trouble shoot. After fixing it, dont forget to change the shell BACK to shell=explorer.exe
If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread