Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorysK

Baseband Member
I just built my third gaming rig, and it will not install windows. It sets up the files to be copied and then half way into the device/driver install it freezes. That hard drive has had an OS on it before, but it has been reformatted prior to install. No idea what the problem is, as it will not even finish the Windows set up. I need help. Thanx

BorysK said:
I just built my third gaming rig, and it will not install windows. It sets up the files to be copied and then half way into the device/driver install it freezes. That hard drive has had an OS on it before, but it has been reformatted prior to install. No idea what the problem is, as it will not even finish the Windows set up. I need help. Thanx
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

what are the system specs, that would be VERY helpful. HDD, MBD, etc. Could be you need drivers for the HDD (if its SATA), or you may need chipset/PIIX drivers for the MBD if its an older one). So, give the details pls ;)

I have an older VIA chipset motherboard, P4X400 series i think, and it is running a P4 3.06 OC'd to 3.95Ghz. memory is 3x512MB PC 2700 (Kingston). As for HD, i've got 3x250GB Maxtors, and an older 40GB and Ive never had a problem with them. two of the large drives are external (USB 2), and they are unplugged during set up, the third is full of DVD's, but is also unpowered during set up. I tried it again last night and I actually got to the Windows serial key screen and it frose right in the middle of me typing. I thin that the problem might be my mobo, or more specifically, the BIOS. it is still running the original v1.05. I have never tried to reflash my BIOS, but if you guys think it will help, the tell me how.

was the processor overclocked before this problem?? try turning the clock speed back down to 3.06ghz.

It was running at 4.05Ghz before the overclock, and I have tried the install on stock settings. I think it might be the windows. Everything was fine untill I installed SP2 on my old rig, it crashed and never came back. The disk that I have now has SP2 built in. I dont know why it would crash my system, but this one set ut using identical components as the dead one.

Also, I have tried installing it on a different drive, and i freezes in the same spot. This is starting to annoy me, Ive been messing with this thing for a week now and I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom