Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

myr707

In Runtime
I have a new toshiba laptop abt 2 months old, running vista sp1. On saturday night it didn't boot up, and since nothing was happening even when i pressed the power button etc, i took out the battery.
When i booted up again i got some type of manager which said it was finding the problem which didn't let me boot up. It then told me i had to restore my system after which it booted up fine. I checked the logs and it said the problem was caused by a bad driver installation.
Now Norton doesn't let me turn on the automatic virus protection (passive scanning), when i start Internet explorer i get a message that Internet explorer has stopped working", and if i try to uninstall a program i get "setup.exe has stopped working". I can install programs though. Anyone have any idea what it is?
Thanks in advance...
p.s. i can connect to the internet its just internet explorer, and everything else on the computer seems to be working fine

I would restore the system to Factory Settings. Either that or use a Restore point. There is something not right with your setup. Something that you installed over the past couple of months or was installed from Windows Update has adversely affected your machine.

First of all thanks for answering so fast. Sorry i wasnt clear. The problems began after I restored my computer to its original settings like when I bought it. Its now restored to the earliest possible settings.

Have you checked Windows Update and the PC Manufacturer's site for updated drivers?

i checked for updates with windows update and im up to date. is there a way to check specifically for drivers? same with the manufacturers website? why do you think its a driver problem?

Well you said you got a BSOD which was related to Drivers. So i figured that is what it is. So if you had the current driver back when this issue occured then you have the possibility of having it occur again. Since it was a driver.

What is the issue now that you are having? I see you mention Norton and IE issues along with uninstall issues. But you said you restored it to Factory Settings. So these issues shouldnt be occuring unless the roll back to Factory Settings already got corrupted some how.

hi in your op you said the message a bad driver installation you can check for new drivers via mf web site for mobo sound video etc if you have a seperae video card check with mfr for it to check your comp go to control panel and in calssic view device manager and you can check all your drivers there look for yellow ! even if their are none updating wont hurt

it wasnt a bsod. it was just that nothing was happening on the boot up. right now the prob is with norton, uninstalling programs, and i.e. see original post. my drivers are up to date.

norton can be a real troublesome prog most times the advice is get rid and use something else lots of free progs that do a good job with a lot less hassle if you decide to do that go to norton site and get the removal tool for your version

im planning on doing that im just using the trial version of norton that came with the computer. my main problem is that i cant uninstall programs and cant run internet explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom