Headaches All Around!

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone!

So in my never-ending quest to put Windows XP on my laptop, I believe I have (finally) found the drivers I need to make it work. I'm not 100% certain that these are what I need, but researching the chipset of my laptop brought back those in a forum claiming it allowed an XP install on a machine with the same chipset. So I would say it's what I need. Now I am having trouble creating a usable boot disk. I used nLite to slipstream the drivers but I am not sure I added the right ones (or amount of) because when Windows Setup was about to finalize to start an install, the .sys files that were added came up "Corrupted" and Setup demanded a reboot. So, I am officially out of ideas. I slipstreamed SP3 into the pack; not sure if that may have caused problems or not. I will link the drivers I found and info regarding my laptop if it helps.

I apologize for asking for more advice on this ongoing headache; and I would not post this under a normal condition but my only other option (that I can see) is try every single tweak or idea through nLite and run them all in a VM until one of them successfully boots. Given the astounding number of variables, that would take an absurd amount of time. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on what I may be doing wrong? Thanks in advance everybody!

Drivers "Needed" (AMD Sata AHCI Controller Driver): https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=10d0e6e125be32c7&id=10D0E6E125BE32C7!278

Laptop Model: Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX

not sure if this applies to laptops or not, but when M$ came out with SP3, there was a huge issue with oem computers that had AMD processors. Has something to do with M$ installing an Intel driver because the OEM's used Intel images for their AMD computers, one blamed the other the end result was a no-boot pc.

This may or may not be an issue for you but I thought that I would put it out here anyway
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors. | HP® Support

The only driver you should need to I stall is the driver for the SATA controller. The rest you can install within Windows after you get it installed to verify they work and are correct.

Doing so via VM will get you no where as a VM doesn't use your hardware but a virtual set of components that borrow resources from your machine.

So get SP3 slipstreamed and get the SATA controls slipstreamed. Worry about adding more later after you know you at least can boot and get it installed. No need to add extra stuff when you don't even know if the barebones install will work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tech & Computer Forums Mobile App

The only driver you should need to I stall is the driver for the SATA controller. The rest you can install within Windows after you get it installed to verify they work and are correct.

Doing so via VM will get you no where as a VM doesn't use your hardware but a virtual set of components that borrow resources from your machine.

So get SP3 slipstreamed and get the SATA controls slipstreamed. Worry about adding more later after you know you at least can boot and get it installed. No need to add extra stuff when you don't even know if the barebones install will work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tech & Computer Forums Mobile App
+1.

Back
Top Bottom