HDD troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks "asupertech", but you had one thing wrong. I had a win98 drive and tried to unsuccessfully slave it to a ntfs system. Not sure if it tried to write the ntfs over the fat32 or what, but the drive is no longer accessable when put back in a win98 system. (Don't have a ntfs system to play with right now)

look here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ there may be a utlity you can use. they have very good hard drisk utlities.

sorry i was incorrect, WINNT cannot read FAT32, but can Read FAT16 AND NTFS.
However XP CAN read FAT16, FAT32, AND NTFS.
Win9X/ME Cannont reat NTFS...
In any case...

Unless you used tols the os to convert the drive it wouldnt try to overwrite it automatically.

When you putit in the NTFS computer you said you made it a slace. You changed the jumper in the back of the HD right?

when you put it back in the 98 computer have you changed that jumper back to CS or Master?

I have seen issues when you take a HDD out of an older computer, then try to put it back in the computer nolonger see the drive.
Try resetting the Bios, Pull the jumper on the MB.

or if you can find it, Flashing the bios with a bios update from the Mother board Manufacturer.
IF you do that wrong though, you will need a new motherboard! so unless you are sure what you are doing be careful....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom