hdd sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mode8power

Baseband Member
i have two harddrive in my system. one is the master and the other is a slave. the problem i get now is that when it boots up to the loading screen for windows, the slave starts to make noise. not a soft noise, but a kinda loud noise. after that, it doesnt load no more. so i reboot and the same thing happens again. im guessing the slave is dead, but why would it make the sound during the loading? i have xp pro if it makes a difference.

Your slave is very dead. The noise is the motor spinning up and then stopping probably just dead.

it may not be the motor... in fact if you picture an arm that would move back and forth over the disks... kinda like an old record player would... if this is damaged then it will click or thump... if it's the motor it will be more like a whine or hiss... back up the drive immediatly it won't last long.
it makes this noise durring the boot process because although it doesn't contain the os and it's not the master, the OS will still access the drive, for several reasons... 1 to see that it's there, 2. to check what's on it and 3. umm something... anyway, it's just kinda taking inventory at that point...

good luck

But on a really apocaliptic note the arm could be scraping all over your disc surface. Which wouldn't be much fun. Although given the size and fragility of the arms head i don't you would hear it.

didable immediatly, place in shock proof container, obtain new hard drive, ghost the old to the new... install new, trash old...
errr... that's what i'd do anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom