HDD only 35% & Falling!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Crunk

In Runtime
My wife downloaded some songs off of the internet a couple days ago, and yesterday when i tried to turn on my computer it would freeze everytime during boot-up. I ran a system restore and now it boots up fine. However, before the restore i had almost 60% of my little 40GB HDD empty, when i restored my computer i dropped to 46%. Now i am down to 35% empty. I did a virus scan and deleted or quarintined all known viruses, but now i have only 35% free space and my computer is running like Grade A garbage! What can i do!!!

if its a virus, be VERY careful on the data backup. To often I've seen people format a system due to a virus and then put there "backup files" on again. Well, those files where infected so all they were doing is re-introducing the virus back onto the system. Back it up and scan it before restoring the files. Also, sounds like you have some kind of stacker/ duplication virus. Basically it adds a few bites to each file and starts to duplicate. Eats HDD space. If you dont have the latest definitions I'd goto

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

and run a scan. Its free and it also cleans the infected system. Reason they get away with this is you can run a virus scan and cleanup for free, but it doesn't protect you from future infections, u just have to go back to the site from time to time and run it again, but there is no preventive measurments like one you would purchase.... its also updated often.

Id say chog has the best idea, looks like your system is fukced. If you dont/cant do that then the best thing to do is us something like hijack this or regedit(if you know what your doing) and shot everything that isnt needed during bootup. Everything from Quicktime to those files that might still be peaces of the virus trying to hang.

You could also check in
Ctrl Pnnl>administrative tools>Even Viewer>
Check in eather Application log/Syslog. This will show you whats goin on. Might be usefull.

When it comes to looking as to whare the space when, the best thing is to get the proporties on the folders, folder by folder disk by disk. Also check temp files of old users on that box. theres lots of ways to clear up space.

Maybe she downloaded like 20gigs of mp3s? Ive done that in one night with a big ftp site or two so it is possible.

agree wif chog, likely hacker invaded your computer, so the best way is back up all your importance file, format your hdd and change your password...

I have spy-bot, i had ad-aware but it "dissapeared" off my computer, honestly i dont know what happened to the program one day i had it the next day it was gone. I also have Norton Anti-virus with auto-protect which detected the viruses i had during the system scan. Also, this may sound dumb, but i have never formatted a harddrive, how do you do it?

well here we go

1. Backup everything you want to another computer/cd/dvd/TAPE! or what ever else, if this is your only one then besure to copy everything like IEbookmarks (i always forget that) or just back you C:\Documents and settings\%USERNAMEHERE% and it will keep everything for you.

2. * * * Look threw device manager and make note of the drivers for your Videocard, Network card, Audio driver. and any other core drivers (you can get the drivers for your camera or what ever now if you wish too)

3. Reboot machine and check your bios and make sure that your machine will boot from CD. Put the cd in (win98/2k/xp) then reboot

4. Fallow the steps but MAKE SURE YOU FORMAT! thats the big one.
~~~ NOTE! ~~~ if your using xp make sure to use a quick format. there quick and does an ok job.

5. Fallow the steps threw the installation

6. Come back here to and tell s0me0ne how much hes the man to boost a poor nerds self esteem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom