HDD Malfunction

TaylerR

Solid State Member
I have a Hp 250 G2 that i only got a roughly a week ago and its working great running windows 8.1 I have connected my Verbatim Model 64119 1TB External HDD to it and the laptop will recognize it fine but then within minutes it says its malfunctioned and then it gets disconnected and I've got to pull the USB cable out and put it back in for the laptop to recognize it again its really starting to annoy me. Any Solution for this? That doesn't involve formatting the drive because i really i mean really don't want to lose the stuff on that HDD. :annoyed:

Some suggestions/questions...
1) Have you tried other USB ports?
2) Have you tried it on another system to see if it does the same thing?
3) Try updating your chipset drivers from the hardware manufacturer's website (not HP's website)
4) You could try running a chkdsk on the drive:

Open up a file explorer window -> go to 'This PC' (formerly Computer) -> right click your external HDD -> Properties -> Tools tab -> under 'Error checking' click 'Check' -> check both boxes -> Click OK and let it run.

Tried all of them. It works fine on my desktop but not on this.All drivers checked,error checking done. tried all of those suggestions before posting and still nothing. Anymore Ideas?:neutral:

Does it have an extra USB cable for power? It's possible its not supplying enough power to it through the USB ports on the laptop.

No i don't i would have to buy one. Is it just a normal USB cable? or should i search for a specific one? that has like a female end and a male end to plug into the laptop and then plug the external into that cable?

Back
Top Bottom