HD showing wrong space free

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

In Runtime
I have a 74gb raptor that i use for windows and games. When i goto my computer..select C: and hit properties it tells me i have 50GB used (49.8gb) yet in the drive view its only telling me i have 6gb free. I tried installing a game and it gave me disk full. I was shocked because i have had 4-10 decent sized games on this drive before , but right now all i have if battlefield 2142 and WOW.

I've done searches on yahoo and such , peole with same problem get the answer , U know 1gb doesnt mean 1,000,000,000bytes, on a 100gb drive you may only get 92gb . i understand that part but i am missing roughly 23gb of space i cant account for. I have show hidden files and folders on too.

any help?

Badkitty, this sounds to me like your system restore feature is utilizing a lot of space...I often see this on some client vista machines..and XP as well. Can you verify? Try turning off system restore to see if it will give you all that space back...A warning though this will erase all your restore points so it is your call :) You can then turn back on if that is what it was..will start building points again.

yup that did it. why is was using 15gb is beyond me. thats more than 15% of 70gb thanks

The Vista restore option is horrid. It defaults at 15% usage I believe. Now you can alter this via a command line, but appears they stripped the GUI from my hacking apart the OS. If you want to know commands I will share. thanks!-Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom