HD not showing anything on it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
i just recently opened my computer took out most of the parts to clean it because it was getting dusty in there...i've done this many many times with various computers and have never had a problem.

i start it back up, everything is reconized...i get into windows and check my hard drives to make sure they can be accessed....the first two are fine but i open the third....it show's it's a 10.5mb hard drive....2mb used and 8mb free........it show's nothing in the hard drive, nothing to even make up for the 2mb used.....

bios is reconizing it as a 15gig hd though.....

have you put on the jumpers right? does it have any partitions? are any pins missing? was the cable incorrectly installed, bending or breaking a pin? If there isn't anything important on the drive, have you tried formatting it or any of its partitions? have you tried reinstalling drivers?

open the thing back up and see if u accidentally screwed up something or check if theres something shorting out any part of your mobo (this happens alot if you dont use lint free / tear free cloth)

CntdwnToExtn said:
it show's it's a 10.5mb hard drive....2mb used and 8mb free........it show's nothing in the hard drive, nothing to even make up for the 2mb used.....

Do you mean MB or GB?

well.....i didn't even take out the hd......no partitions, no o/s....just storage for my music.....
the ide seemed to fit in pretty good.....good enough that it's reconized in both bios and windows....bios has the right reading but windows doesn't and there isn't anything there.....

i don't use cloth for cleaning....i use a vacumm and do not touch the parts...i just get up the heavy stuff...

it's on the same ide as my cd rom and it's runnin' fine, so it can't be the connector at the mobo....

Have you looked at the drive in win2k's disk management utility?
If so, does it report the same information?

disk management doesn't report any unpartitioned space on the drive then?
Also, are you using NTFS or FAT32 and did the drive just have a single partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom