HD crashed, trying to reinstall XP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default HD crashed, trying to reinstall XP

I recently had my HD crash (hardware, not software) So after purchasing a new HD and installing it, I loaded the XP disc, when it came to the Certificate of Authenticity portion, I looked on the back of the computer as the booklet said to and I entered the 15 digits that were on the sticker. did I say 15? yup. not 25 as required. So there is my problem.
Without thinking of the obvious, (buying a new copy) What can I do about getting my comp back up and running?
And if I do need to buy a new copy, what are the differences between the Home and Pro versions? And where should I pick one up from?

Thanks for your time guys.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to patrickc284

Yea, that might be a problem. Sounds like you have a bootleg copy. Is this a copy that came with a brand-name PC? (i.e. Dell, HP) Or did you buy it somewhere else?

I bought my XP Pro SP2 off eBay, but if you go on BizRate.com, you can find it for around $135. Most people would recommend Pro over Home Edition on the basis that it is more secure and has more networking functionality. Microsoft's site should have a comparison chart on their product listing that'll tell you exactly what the differences are.

I'd be careful on eBay - I got a bootleg copy of Windows 2000 that was supposed to be a legal copy - and it didn't work at all. Fortunately I got a refund, but it was a pain to have to go and get an OS all over again. Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Triforcer

dont buy one man just get it somewhere else. do u have the original cd or just a burnt copy?

Old 03-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

What kind of PC is this? There is no XP COA sticker on the case anywhere?

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 03-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Re: HD crashed, trying to reinstall XP

Quote:
Originally posted by Phelan347
I recently had my HD crash (hardware, not software) So after purchasing a new HD and installing it, I loaded the XP disc, when it came to the Certificate of Authenticity portion, I looked on the back of the computer as the booklet said to and I entered the 15 digits that were on the sticker. did I say 15? yup. not 25 as required. So there is my problem.
Without thinking of the obvious, (buying a new copy) What can I do about getting my comp back up and running?
And if I do need to buy a new copy, what are the differences between the Home and Pro versions? And where should I pick one up from?

Thanks for your time guys.

what did it look it?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The cd is a gold holographic top, and both the booklet and COA sticker on the back of the comp "look" pretty official. I bought the Comp almost 2 years ago from a guy on Ebay, who built brand new custom systems. Thing is, I remember calling MS and entering a 25 digit code back then. I have no clue where that code is today though.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

on my dell, there are 2 sets of numbers, the product key and a serial number.....inbetween is a barcode...did you enter the product key in? Can you take a pic?