Having trouble keeping CPU usage down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester73440

Baseband Member
I been having trouble latley keeping my usage down. Its always at about 50% and often sits at 70% to 100%. If I defrag the ram I can get it down to around 40% only to have it climb back up. I know I have some spyware I have to scan and delete. But here is a picture of my process tree. thanks for your time
--Steve

Damn..go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, click disable all, reboot, run spybot search and destroy and adaware, delete all cookies and TIFS, delete your prefecth folder in c:/windows, dont worry, it will come back next time you reboot, and see what that does and repost your processes.

I have done everything you said except "delete your prefecth folder in c:/windows" I was unable to find this folder( I'm running win 2000). doing this helped some but the usage is still high. I have run system mechanic to clean spybot search and destroy adaware and macfee. this is how my tree looks now

Attachments

• tree.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 35
What is startupguard?

That's actually pretty good. Thats not that many...I have 32 my self but running at between 0% and 4% CPU Usage.

Yeah but I'm still running at 50% usage I use to run at around 2%. I used system mechanic to edit my windows start up since win 2000 has no msconfig, and with that you can put on start up guard which will prevent anything from adding itself to you start up with out your permission

I think the startup folder is located in the programs. Start, All Programs, then Startup should be there some where.

what processor have you got? As my old 450mhz p3 used alot of cpu usage with xp. I had a screen print of the cpu usage at 97% just to refresh a webpage - google, nothing dodgy that contains dodgy stuff. - I did a format after this and put 98se back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom