Having Trouble Dual Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrecaaBade

Beta member
Hello, I am new to this forum as you have probably gathered. I have in the past been able to dual boot my pc with window 7 and windows xp.

However for some reason when I use EasyBCD on windows 7 to and try to add windows xp it cannot automatically find it.

I have it installed on Drive H, but it thinks it's on my main hard drive C.

I have even changed the driver letter so it should be finding it. but it doesn't.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem I would be very grateful

many thanks

I have never used EasyBCD so I can't help you there, but you can't you just partition the hard drive and then install them on a partition respectively? Also to note, you should install Windows XP first as when you install Windows XP after Windows 7 it can overwrite some of the files as Windows 7 was released later it is further updated so XP will be missing some of the necessary files.

Hi, thanks for the reply. That's why you use Easy BCD it adds it to the boot file so you can access both. I have done it in the past and it worked fine but for some reason it's not doing it now. I have installed it on another partition as well.

Hi, thanks for the reply. That's why you use Easy BCD it adds it to the boot file so you can access both. I have done it in the past and it worked fine but for some reason it's not doing it now. I have installed it on another partition as well.

Maybe heading to NeoSmart and asking in their support forums there would be more useful? I mean they made the software they should be able to answer why the program didnt add the entry and boot files as expected.

Which version are you using? They are on Version 2.1.2 right now. Is that the one you are currently using? If you installed XP after Win7, then you should have booted directly into XP after the install and should have had to repair the BCD to get back into Win7. From there you would have installed EasyBCD and added the entry and had it working properly. If after you installed XP it still booted directly into Win7, then the XP install did not go correctly cause the boot information did not install correctly.

Hi,

thanks for you reply it's ok I've got it all sorted now. I did a clean install of Windows XP first then installed Windows 7 on another drive. it worker perfectly I didn't have to use EasyBCD at all. After Windows 7 was installed the system rebooted and there was an option for early versions of windows and windows 7.

Shame I had to re-download everything but I'm just glad I can now Dual Boot.

Thanks again for your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom