Having trouble with BSoD !! Need Help

AMG13

Solid State Member
Hi everyone . I'm new here and the reason that brought me here is the BSoD ( Blue Screen of Death ) . I just bought a brand new rig from a local dealer .( I had it assembled by him ). Here are the specs -

i7-2600K
Asus P8z77 M-PRO
Asus Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
CoolerMaster GX750 PSU
and all the other usual stuff .

Now, the problem . From the moment the rig was assembled and windows7 installed , the BSoD has been bugging me ! I try to run any program , it pops up and the system restarts . The rig was meant primarily for gaming , and when i try to install games like BF3 , MW2-3 or any other it just hangs up ! and not just while gaming , even when i do a virus scan it hangs (so on so forth ). I thought it was a WIndows install problem , so i called up the service guy and he re-installed windows . turns out the problem was the quickheal "anti-virus" trial he installed . and it just wouldnt budge from there . So he had to re-re-install windows . Okay, so far so good . Re-installed all the drivers and then everything seemed to be fine . Then i put the BF3 cd into the drive and voila, the BSoD shows up again :dead:. I can't even pinpoint the problem . This is really bothering me and i've had enough of it . Can you guys please help me ? all input & suggestions are appreciated . Thank you .

Are the latest video card drivers installed? There is a huge difference between the drivers on the cd that came with your video card and the ones on Nvidia's website. I built a computer for a guy a few weeks ago and we couldn't get it to even install direct x 10 until we downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the video card manufacturer's website.

You could also go back and make sure you have the video card's power input plugged in. High end video cards not only require power from the PCI E slot but they need additional power from a 2x3 or 2x4 power connector from the psu.

Also is you ram plugged in to the right slots? On my computer there are 2 blue and 2 white ddr3 slots. If you have 2 x 4gb ram cards it might help if they are both plugged into the same color instead of different ones.

What STOP error code is the BSOD giving? Disable automatic system restart (Start > right click Computer > properties > advanced system settings > Settings under "startup and recovery" > uncheck "automatically restart on system failure" > hit OK on all windows).

Next time the BSOD happens post all info (all-caps text at the top, STOP code, parameters, and if a driver file is mentioned below the STOP code).

Also, is it always when trying to install a game from a disc? If so, t hen maybe the disc drive is faulty. Try using a different cable, or try plugging it into a different port. If it still does it, then I would try borrowing one from somebody if possible, or getting a replacement to see if that's the issue.

You could also try getting an external USB DVD drive, and try to install the game from there to pinpoint the problem.

Hmmm , thanks guys . I'll try these out and see whats the problem . Will keep you updated on my progress.

CarnageX , the BSoD doesn't hang around long enough for me to note down the stop code . What should i do ?

Veraster , I've a 8x1 GB RAM so i guess that shouldn't be the problem .

I gave you instructions on how to prevent it from disappearing. I gave instructions to disable automatic restart on system failure in the beginning of my post (instructions are in parentheses).

Oh , sorry i mistook it for something else . I disabled the automatic system restart and after that everything seemed normal . It didn't hang up , i extracted MW2 without any problems . But when i tried extracting BF3 it hung up . I ran a system scan and Norton doesnt show any potential threats . It could be that CD itself , so i'll check it out in another system today . (BSoD didnt appear but the system is hanging up )

Norton isn't that great of an AV... I'd suggest removing it and going with a free alternative such as Microsoft Security Essentials; it's less resource-intensive.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

CarnageX , Is it possible that this can be a BIOS problem ?? Cause the dealer had to get the mobo replaced coz of some problem during the installation . The guys at ASUS had admitted that there was a BIOS prob with the mobo and there was no video output from it .

I just used the system for a couple of hours today, played some demo games like DeltaForceX2 , NFS Shift etc . The system is hanging up but no blue screen now :umm: .

It's possible it could be a BIOS problem, but let's try and focus on to see if it's a software issue first. Was the board sent into Asus previously? If it was, it should have gotten fixed (either BIOS flashed with newest update, or a new board completely).

Check Event Viewer (Press Windows key + R > type in eventvwr.msc > hit OK), under the applications and/or system categories. Look around the times the computer locked up to see if there are any specific entries causing a hangup or anything.

The mobo was replaced by ASUS (Its a new one with updated BIOS - the dealer sent back the old one coz he was unable to update the BIOS ) . I'll try the Event viewer entries and get back to you . Thanks for the help !! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom