Have lost Admin privlages

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowilker

Solid State Member
I am a single user of the machine in question, I am or thought I was the administrator for my machine and three others in my home, two of which are connected wireless.

I have tried every suggestion that I have come across, including booting in the safe mode, and still can't make the administrator show up. It'll ask for a password and when there isn't one I hit the wall.

There was no admin password set, none set for the primary user, me. I have had the ability to be the admin until recently.

The machine is running XP Pro srv pk2 and has been running nearly 3 years 7/24.

Everytime I try anything from trying to install renewed virus software, to changing user settings in the registry I keep getting Access is denied.

Any suggestions??

John

Your profile could be corrupt. Did you try making a new users? Can you not get in the admin account when you go into safe mode?

There should be a build-in administrator account and at the very begining of installation you should had made another account in administrator group. Can you go into computer management in administrative tools?

I bought the machine from a friend of mine that sell computers, he specked out the machine, because my P233 was struggling to keep up. I furnished him the software and he loaded it. We as suggested didn't run passwords. The machine is set for auto logon. I can not force the administrator to run in either safe mode or real time.

I used to have admin priviliges with my JW account, don't know why that stopped. I can change things outside of the program files, but am denied access for anything inside program files.

Law, I have tried to run recover console and have no password to enter and after the 3rd try, I'm out the door.

I tried to make one of those floppy boot disks and it says to put a disk in the A:\ whe there is one in there.

John

Yea you do need the administrator password for recovery console...is there any ways that you can get into the control panel, administrative tools, computer management?

Ok go into local users and groups click on users. You should see accounts and the administrative. You could reset the password.

Oh I can do all of that. Thing is, I can do it but when I click ok, I get this little error message

Access is denied.

John

DAMMIT.....well I knew in my head it wouldn't let you anyways but just wanted to try. One last thing, can you use system restore.

Honestly, I think someone or something got into your computer administrative account and set a password on it and change you to the users account. So your current account is limited.

Don't know, That is one thing that I have never tried.

What kinds of things could I expect to loose if I used it?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom