[HARPER'S BLOG] Windows Media Center Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Any one here playing around with Windows Xp Media Center Edition (or WMCE) yet?

The problem that i have windows MMCE is that Microsoft is trying get more market share into the home consumer market. They they started with with X-Box. However with the fact that people are now downloading movies, and storing home movies or photo's digitally and other stuff digitally. And that is all fine with a computer.
However when it comes down to a computer, how many times does that fall over compaired to your VCR, DVD Player, Home Theature System.
If you are planning on have your media center contected to the internet, the you better get yourself some virus protection.
Like you turn on a DVD player, it ready to go to play DVD.
You turn your a computer, you are normally waiting about 2 minutes for it to boot.

Mind you, intel has started to develop there new VIIV technology which effectively that will effectively allow you to power down your PC to a extremely LOW POWER mode, therefore you will not need to wait for the boot up process of your computer. However this technology will not be hitting the market until Q2-2006.

Driver support, so far a lot of the manufacuture do not offically have driver support for WMCE. Since WMCE is nothing more that Windows XP Pro with some extra stuff added onto it, you can get away with installing the WinX Drivers.
However on the 3 video cards that I have tried (going on later 4th today), I have not been able to get any of the nVidia WMCE Drivers to work. During the installation, I get this error message telling me that this is the wrong operating system.

DVD Play Back....... fresh install of WMCE does to give you DVD play back. You need to install some sort of DVD Play Back Software. Thankfully just about all DVD Drive amd Quality Video Cards comes with PowerDVD or Some thing like that.

DVD Regions.... for all those people (like myself) that seem to have DVDs from your local DVD store as well as 3 other reagons, you are still going to have problem with your DVD Drive Locking up after 5 region changes. I will let you know how I go with DVD Region Free. If some one knows of a FREE software download that does the same job as DVD Region Free, I would like to know about.
Other method is that you can crack your DVD's Firmware. But that may void your warranty.

DivX..... even after installing the WMCE updates, the Divx codex that are currently installed on WMCE are about 2 years out of date. Yesterday I grabbed about a had full of my AVI. And I was only able to play about one or two files. It would be nice if WMCE Windows Media Player would give you some sort of Error Code when you are missing a codex.
I am not looking forward to trying out things like MKV and OGGs... especially considering that there is multiple subtitles and audio tracks on some of those. I have enough problems with those just on Window Xp Pro.

Anyways, I will post more when i get more stuff to write about.

If Microsoft thinks they are going to be able to sell their OS like a normal DVD player to Joe-I-Know-F***-All-About-Computer, they are seriously mistaken.

If Microsoft thinks they are going to be able to sell their OS like a normal DVD player to Joe-I-Know-F***-All-About-Computer, they are seriously mistaken.

They are aint they?

Warez Monster said:
They are aint they?
Mate,
I just had VIP from both Microsoft and Intel tell me 2 twice this week that Windows Media Center is going to be the thing really soon.

With with WMCE Roll Out 2005, they still have along way to go.

I guess we will all see.

Also, you said changing regions 5 times will lock the dvd player? is this consistent?

Media Center is not the future I doubt even MS would say that as they have discontinued the entire Media Center line of Products. All of MCE's functions will be ported to the Premium version of Vista from what I hear.

MCE will not be the future. For one if something happens to the PC how many people want to lose the ability to play a DVD (espically if they have kids)? Who would want to try and watch a DVD but then spend 2-3 hours formatting, reinstalling, and setting up a MCE when they could have watched a movie? MCE is something that is going to be very fickle. IT will not be incorporated into every home. Everyfamily that has kids wont use it for the fact they dont have time to re-do a PC for home theater purposes. The only people that are gonna use it are single-techy people that want to stay cutting edge.

Bah your already an admin in your carear now it's time to search out romance. Though having a movie late at night played on your Media Center could never hurt unless you get a BSOD right before the best part of the movie.

Honestly what is the purpose of having a MCE computer? We have dvd players can can already recond TV and we have patches to add MCE theme to a normal XP and both operating systems can perform normal computer tasks. Seems somewhat pointless...

Hey now i have both. Romance and time on TF.

But i have to agree with Tyler on this one. No points in having a MCE. Just takes to much time if you get any kind of problems. Since you have to keep it connected to the net for updates or to get codes for your remote (Grrr....) you can fall victim to an attack at the worst possible moment. Just like Murphy's Law says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom