Hardware Inventory Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiken

In Runtime
Does anyone know or recommend any good software out there that allows me to keep an inventory of computers/hardware and maybe keep a history of tickets/issues (history report) of past problems.

I got about 100 computers at work that I need to inventory (serial, asset, computer id, etc.). This would be really useful when I gotta open tickets up for a user when it needs to go to service. Also useful when I got to inventory and see who has what, etc. Thanks.

for 100 machine, I don't think there is much you would want to look at. The big ones are things like Altiris and IntelDesk. They are full level solutions. Might look into using something like SMS, but that isn't going to do much for you, in what you are wanting. You might just think about spending a few hours working out a database that allows you to assign information to a user, by a primary key (unique number). This will give you the ability to keep a history record of all things associated to them. It's just time consuming upfront and then you can maintain it pretty easy after that...

Good luck.

edit::
found this. Might be worth looking at...
https://www.beitsmart.com/about/overview.asp
Good luck

We have an Access database right now, but it's very time consuming as you can imagine. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them.

To track help desk cases we use internet based software from www.sandcatcher.com this will allow us to log cases, event info, knowledge base, etc etc..as for auditing we will be rolling out SMS 2003 at our site in about 2 months.

Can someone school me up on SMS real quick please. Is this an OS? I'll research it as well.. Thanks.

I used Lansurveyor at one work, it's pretty cool. What it does is m ap out your network, showing you a physical map of it, and allow you to remote into the computers. You can then start polling services, which will start to collect information on the computers on the network, but not too in depth. There is a program called "AssetTracker" which tracks all that stuff, and incorporates into Lan Surveyor. Lan Surveyor is made by Neon software, but I'm not sure who makes Assett Tracker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom