Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well installing the OS is sure cumbersome but you have to install it in both the drives.
The OS is already installed on the first drive remove it and make the second drive as primary master and install the whole OS again...dont connect the first drive then.
Then connect both the drives and at boot time you can selct any of the two HDDs and it will boot.

If this doesn't work then keep both the hard drives connected and start setup again and choose repair...then select the windows installation...it must show you two of them select the first one and type the command FIXMBR or FIXBOOT and follow the instructions.

Yes, but doing this, do I have to re-format? This will, of course lose me masses of programs which would be painful indeed. Does the repair process do the same? Sorry I am a junior techie and have never tried repair before.

NO you dont have to reformat....the OS is already installed in your first drive so you wont lose any of your programs..and the second hard drive must be empty or doesnt matter anyway...you have to just install the OS on it by connecting it separately.

Repairing::
when you type the command FIXBOOT it asks you whether you really wanna do it ...say yes "Y" and it will happen instantly...this works if you have more than one oS on your machine or say the same HDD but maybe it will work with both the HDDs....(*correct me if I am wrong*)

Finally I gave up. Backed up files from "C" to "D" and did a complete re-install of XP pro and all its additions (3 hours 20 minutes) and some of backed up programs worked but, unfortunately not all, including USB host controller, printer driver and others which I will have to re-install. At last, I can now choose on or other of my drives. Thanks to all you who tried to assist me. This thread can close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom