Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-

Beta member
I recently built my new computer with one tera byte (B:/) and an Intel SSD 40 gig (C:/). I was told to put my operating system on the SSD to improve the speed of my computer. The issue I'm having now is as I look through my C:/ drive which is the SSD I'm seeing tons of other files and now that drive is almost full.

Is there a way I can change everything to put it on my B: drive as opposed to my C:. I only want the operating system on my C: drive.

Also I am using a window 7 if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

There is no way. The reason being is simple. Some programs dont offer you the option to install to a different location than their default, which is C:\Program Files. So your stuck installing everything to your SSD of only 40GB. Plus added into that you cant just move these programs. You would have to uninstall them. As just moving the information would corrupt the programs and cause them not to work.

You can move your music, pictures and documents over. Information on that here.

Wow - I didn't know that some programs don't allow you to install in other locations. Ultimately that means that there's no predictable way to determine proper partition sizing between program files and personal documents...... nice.

That is correct. There is no way to have a proper partition cause you dont know. Some programs just give you the "Install" button and the the "Proceed". Very rarely do you see the option to choose your install location. The sad part is if you do get to choose the location, that is not for everything related to that program. That is only for the Executable file and related files. Your personal data and preferences are still stored on our main drive under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ and it is even the same way back in XP. So this isnt something new with Vista and Win7. But for XP it was under C\Documents and Settings\<username>\AppData\ where the information was stored.

So even though you may think you have the data on a separate drive, you still have plenty of information stored on your main drive. Add into that the 90% of the default save locations are within these personal data spots, you can cause it to fill up even more.

This isnt even including the information in the Registry as well either. This is just the data for the program. Yes Windows is twisted. This is what makes the claim about using an SSD so tough to listen to. As any SSD large enough is to expensive and the smaller ones dont cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom