Hard Drive, Mobo, or OS going bad? Help me decide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikenk

Baseband Member
Hi all,

Let me start my saying that all these problems started just after I installed Diskeeper Pro ver.8. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not....

This is what I have: Comaq EVO: P4/1.8Ghz, dual HDD, 768 MB RAM, nVidia GF4 Ti-4200, CD-RW, and DVD ROM. Win XP Pro

My system keeps locking up during large file transfers. At first, I thought it was my secondary drive but now I think it's my main HDD, but I'm not sure.

Every time I copy large amounts of files TO my C: drive FROM any source (second HDD, laptop on network, cd ROM) the system locks up completely and the HDD light drive stays on all the time. Even if I copy large blocks of files WITHIN the C: drive, the system locks up.

I can copy files FROM the C: drive to other drives and to my laptop on the network with no problem and no lockups, but I can't copy TO the C: drive.

I'm leaning towards the hard drive as the problem, but I wonder if it could be the mobo or even the operating system. Any ideas? Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

I finally got everything going. I *think* the problem was a corrupted BIOS. To make a long story short: I had to reinstall the OS, but it kept on locking up during the step "LOADING DRVINFO.INF". No matter what I tried, I could not get the OS to load on EITHER hard drive (I thought the C: drive was my problem).

I tried removing and shuffling around RAM modules, but that didn't work. I also reseated the cables, but that didn't work. Finally, I saw the CMOS reset button on the Mobo. I reset the CMOS and this time, the OS started installing. I got XP up and running and started copying (restoring) all my stuff and so far, I've had no problems with lockups. I even installed Diskeeper without a problem (although I did set a restore point first).

So....how the BIOS got corrupted in the first place, I have no idea.

Viken Karaguesian

Yeah, MicroBell, interesting is the word! Although things seem to be going better, I still can't make sense of the whole process.

Here's another wierd thing: Originally, I set out to do a System Restore but my system locked up about 85% of the way through. Of course, my system wouldn't reboot afterwards. After having lockup problems with the XP boot disk, I got the only thing I could find: a Windows 95 boot disk!

After booting with the Win95 boot disk, I did a FORMAT C command. BUT....it actually formatted D!! (I have two HDD's, 20GB "C" drive and 15GB "D" drive). It said "formatting 15GB partition", but at the time I was thinking "AHA! Here's my problem, 5GB of my 20GB drive's free space has been corrupted!". After all, I had typed FORMAT C :>)

My best guess (in retrospect) is that since I had booted with a Win95 disk the OS did not recognize my 20gb "C" drive, either because it was too big or because it was an NTFS partition.

In either case, I'm just glad I didn't have to build a whole new computer! I really have other things to spend my money on. Damn mortgage!

Viken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom