Hard Drive, Hard times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magicman

Beta member
I really hope someone can HELP me. I apologise for the length of my description but didn't want to leave anything out not knowing what bit of information (about my problem) might be usefull in determining my problem and what I can do to solve it.

My hard drive is partitioned into 5 partitions. I initially had installed Windows 2000 and as a result of a NTLRD32 error that was generated on 40 % of the websites I visited which would automatically close and shut down ie explorer. I tried replacing NTLRD32 (I assume it was corrupt) but because windows uses it to boot I was unable to. As a result I got frustrated and upgraded to windowsXP which solved that issue and created others, namely that my computer was horribly slow. I tried several fixes to no avail. So my next step was to move everything I wanted to save to one of my other partitions. I used the partition that I had the most space left on and wiped C: and reinstalled win2000, which solved my slower than a dead turtle issue but now I am unable to access the partition that I saved (moved) all my files to. (You have got to be kidding me!)

More specifically about my issue, I have the C: drive (which obviously is where windows is installed) then I have a D, E, F and G drive (partitions). I am able to, it figures, access every other partition accept for E which is where I have the files stored that I need (want).

C is listed as the Local Disk and so is E all the other drives are listed with the names I had given them. I had given the E partition a name as well and don't know why it is showing up as Local Disk.

I want to make clear too that I didn't just partition the drive the drive has been partitioned that way for a long time (each partition with their respective names) and when I wiped C, formatted and installed win2000 I didn't touch the other partitions. Last bit of info I will mention is that when I click on E I am told it is not accessible. Access is denied and when I right-click on the E "drive" and go to properties there is no file system listed. It was an NTFS file system as are all the other "drives".

What do I need to do? Thank you for wading through this email and hopefully the information I provided was relevant.

I don't know if it has been updated in Win2000, but Windows XP uses a newer format of NTFS. Maybe, perhaps, it was auto-changed to the new one some how when you were temporarily on WinXP, but when you went back, Win2000 couldn't read the drive.

Win2000 uses NTFS 3.0
WinXP uses NTFS 3.1

Keep in mind, this is more of a guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom