Hard Drive Formatting ??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to j4mes_bond25
Question Hard Drive Formatting ???

I'm hoping to format the hard drive of one of my cousin tomorrow.

Guess, she's got Windows 2000 OR XP presently & she's got only 8GB of hard drive & I'm hoping to install Windows XP Home Edition using my CD.

She doesn't wanna do any partition, however, wish to have NTSC file system instead of FAT32.

Would it be as simple as simply inserting my XP CD & restarting the PC & getting the option of "whether you wish to format the hard disk" followed by Windows XP setup ??? How about the process involved in chosing NTSC or FAT32 partition ???

Old 01-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I wouldnt recommend installing XP on 8gb hdd. It will use over 3 gb by default, then you need to instal updates, sp2s, then programs...dont even bother til you get a biggerr hard drive. You can use Nlite to remove items, but I dont recommed it.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

you can use the xp cd to format as ntfs, let it format, then immediately eject the cd before it start copy files, then it will say setup can't continue, then hit f3 to exit.

now install 2000 and choose leave the file system intact.

this is the quickest way to format for 2000, me or win 98 (although you will choose fat32 as partitions for the last two)
Old 01-02-2006, 05:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

You can format using NTFS with Win2000 CD setup as well. As far as I can remember.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

yes you can. I just install windows 2000 on a old computer yesterday
Old 01-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Lol, you'd have to be really fast if you want to eject the CD after formatting before it copies the files over. It starts copying immediately after formatting.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMajor
Lol, you'd have to be really fast if you want to eject the CD after formatting before it copies the files over. It starts copying immediately after formatting.

true...

Closed Thread