Hard Drive format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammy211

Beta member
I recently installed a new harddrive. I copied my old one over to it. The new one is currently the Master drive and the old one is the slave. Is it OK for me to erase the old one now? I want to partition the old one and use it for some other stuff, but I am reluctant to erase Windows off it in case there are license issues. So, will windows run OK without my original copy in the computer?

If you ever end up having to repair or re-format your main drive, the worst that would happen is you'd have to re-activate XP. (either by internet or telephone)

I changed a lot of components in my system, and had to re-activate. Was no big deal.

yeah disconnect the old hard disk completely and test to make sure the new disk boots OS okay before you erease anything.

As well as testing a boot with the new one alone, I would do the reformat without the new one in. It is probably an extremely rare situation, but I was reformating a drive when there were two in...off a boot CD...and there was a problem, and both drives ended up corrupted. I hadn't even looked at the other drive in the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom