Hard drive data recovery failing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Hard drive data recovery failing

Hi all, first post.
I have a HP pavilion dv7 laptop that recently died, but comp tech says hard drive should still be good. HPs black screen of death is what happened...I'm past trying to fix it, and bought a new ASUS laptop.
I removed the hard drive from the HP, hooked up the sata cable n power supply a d tgen into the USB port. When I do this, it immediately displays an error message "unknown address" and I cannot get into the hard drive. I'm lost now and can't figure out what to do. Driver is up to date, did a few things that I found online like updating driver, disable/enable through devmgmt, n some others....
The hard drive I removed from the HP was running Windows 7 and my new ASUS is running Windows 10.
HELP!!

Ben

Old 05-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Default Re: Hard drive data recovery failing

Hey, Ben! What exactly do you have this hard drive plugged into? I'm a bit confused on that part. Is it an external enclosure or a dock? Or something else? The new laptop is displaying the message about "unknown address?" Is it a particular software that you're running showing that?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hard drive is just on the table with an ez connect sata cable adaptor and power supply. power supply plugged directly into hard drive, then a sata cable to usb 3.0 adaptor also plugged into the hard drve, then from the adaptor into a usb port on the new laptop.
the error message is from windows in general, not additional software. as soon as I plug it all together, my computer pops up an error window titled USB Device not recognized. in the window it says "the last usb device you plugged into this computer malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it." with a windows recommendation of unplugging, and replugging in, which doesn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hard drive setup.jpg (109.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

sorry for the white boxes, and removed parts of the pic, realized after I got done w/all the paint b.s, I had mail on my table lol.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

more info on the dead HP....would turn on, but black screen, blinking caps lock light, orage f12 light (wireless l.e.d) and would not ever boot. three different computer repair places told me different things, vid card overheated and separated from motherboard, motherboard overheated, and then just a very blunt, hp dead screen, get a new comp.. End result was the same on all three diagnoses, buy a new comp, not worth fixing, extract data from hard drive later. but was quoted $120 min, w/a max of $250 to have them extract the data. so I did what everyone does, and said woah ****, looked at you tube and am attempting it myself, for the cost of the ez connect adaptor. ($24)
Old 05-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Night Ninja

I've never heard of a Kingwin adapter. Some of those things are more reliable than others. I've had my share of issues with those things. Personally, docking stations are way more reliable than those. That said, if it's not seeing the drive, it sounds like it's a faulty adapter. You'll probably have to exchange the adapter for a working one or try using a dock.

If you want somebody to do it to avoid the frustrations that you're having, there are places that can and will do data backups for $100 or less. Geek Squad does them for $100 at unlimited data and there are some mom and pop shops that will do it that way, too. It looks like Staples does it for $70, but I don't know if there is a data limit on it or not.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Right, but I'm attempting the d.i.y. approach....until total failure. I'll exchange that for an actual docking station tomorrow and try that then....unless someone else has a genius way to help me lol. Thank you
Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Bumping in hope of a solution before go exchange for a docking station
Old 05-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Private Joker

I've used those EZ-Connect adapters at my previous job...they were always trash and were really finicky and seemed like they would only work part of the time.

Get a better external enclosure or dock would be my suggestion. See if you can exchange the EZ Connect one for a better one.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
I've used those EZ-Connect adapters at my previous job...they were always trash and were really finicky and seemed like they would only work part of the time.
Same. They were trialed here at my workplace and they were all binned they were so crap.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data recovery, external hard drive, hp dead