Hard Drive crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

BookerT

Baseband Member
Yes im going through a hard drive crash and trying to recover my data. The causes to the crash are unknown. Im running a p4 2ghz with windows xp and I tried slaving my hard drive to a friend PC which is slightly older and running windows me.
His OS didnt find my hard drive and I double checked all jumper and cable connections. The hard drive doesnt seem to have any irregular revolutions or suspicious noises.

My question is can a older computer system running windows me fat32 read the drive of a newer system running XP and fully updated?

No. The XP install is running the NTFS file system which FAT32 systems can not read. So putting the drive in a Windows ME computer will do you no good since it cant recognize the NTFS file system.

that is of course assuming that XP was installed using NTFS but this is most likely.

If the system came pre-installed with XP then it is NTFS.

With pre-installed systems they dont use the FAT32 file system.

use a bart pe cd to copy the files over on the win me machine. it will convert the files to fat32 automatically

yea. you cant use ntfs on fat32. your gonna have to either get a ntfs reader prog(which dont work that well) or find a nice buddy willing enough to lend his hand and let u put ur hdd in is pc and copy the files, and burn em to a dvd, or cd's or memory stick/whatever. but ntfs dont work with me/98/95/3.1/dos/etc..... note if you have xp installed on fat32, you can still access ntfs perfectly. the main differences between ntfs/fat32 is fat32 is based off of the origional storage structure, and ntfs is reorganized for faster access with compression support, unlike fat32, so a operating system that dont have support for ntfs wont run it even tho the bios detects it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom