hard drive constantly reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the part there I am wondering on not knowing any more then two primaries. Would seeing a second copy going to a second primary result in seeing the Windows.old on the first?

trudgechr we would need a little more information on what you meant by other partitions as being on the same hard drive or are you running more then one there?

If he installed Vista again over the previous install then there shouldnt be any jump over from that install. The new isntall would takes it place. Everything would be placed in the windows.old folder and unless he manually messed with the system there is no way for Windows to work that the windows.old file.

hi since a new install of windows vista ultimate after a system corruption i have noticed my hard disc is constantly reading. i installed vista to a partion keeping all previous non windows data i had before on my other partitions which was also from a previous install of vista ultimate. can anybody suggest anything ,dont want to loose my hdd.
thanks for your time
chris

If he installed Vista again over the previous install then there shouldnt be any jump over from that install. The new isntall would takes it place. Everything would be placed in the windows.old folder and unless he manually messed with the system there is no way for Windows to work that the windows.old file.

As you can see from the top of the thread if trudgechr had reinstalled Windows on the same primary it would either save the older version of XP in the Windows.old folder. Here when reinstalling Vista over Vista that isn't seen since the installer tends to automatically reformat the primary without warning! once you confirm where the files are going.

trudgechr however is saying a second copy was installed on another partition... where? on the same drive or another? That's why we need a little more on how the partitions and copies of Windows are layed out to see if there is something linking both.

The installer doesnt format. You have to select that option. It is under teh advanced button once you get to the drive select screen.

ubuntu_vista_02.jpg

As seen here. You have to click Drive Options (Advanced) to get the format option to come up. Vista does not format automatically.

So that would mean that the files went into the windows.old folder which can not be used during boot. So that would not affect his system performance. The only thing it could be is a bad sector on the drive causing problems.

Funny the light stops moving up and down on the external usb drive here while the HLed is constantly blinking on the case. That's simply sitting here with an IE and Safari pair of browser windows open at the present moment indicating one or more of Vista's background services.

That sounds about right since I was taking notes on that when first looking at Vista while trying out the first beta release. Besides the SuperFetch feature now seen in Windows however we still need to know more about the partition arrangement and just how the current configuration looks to see if there is anything else.

Hey Mak When simply going to reinstall Vista or XP here I've already removed the older primary and formatted the new one for either version to install right onto. But on one occasion the reinstall of Vista didn't compress the proceeding copy of the same into the Windows.old like it would for XP being the older version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom