Hanging on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually norton was sold to me by the computer vendor. you see in india, its the hardware vendors themselves who also install the system and any s/w one wants including antivirus.

i used to AVG before but i had some problem with it when they released a new version. that was about 2 yrs back. havnt used it yet again.

btw i had another problem some time back, i posted abt it here. i dunno if this is related i will post a link to that thread.

here is the link:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/problem-startup-194380/

btw that problem vanished on its own! and i havnt replaced that old battery in it. you think this is related to my current problem somehow?

ok i dont want to repost same thing here but you can see this:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/hanging-startup-related-hjt-log-198860/#post1579050 (post number 7)

well osiris has no where written to uninstall norton! must i uninstall it? and will be a clean uninstallation. i have heard that some fragments are left behind, whats it called in memory, those .dll files. they show up in registry issues.

i will check that activescan link of yours now.

Thats why I had told you to go to Norton's site and Download their Utility for getting rid of their software.. I don't have the link handy since its been a millennium since I have used Norton.

hang on.... googling..

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

There hope that helps :)

actually i am on activescan site now. it downloaded some stuff and is updating activescan 2.0

hmm its scanning now i think.

i will go to that link and uninstall norton, but after this scan's done.

btw i have a whole lot of stuff hanging around in folders on my comp! its not like i use it on a daily basis, but i might require it for some future use.

i need to know is there any free online storage facility wherein i can store some of this stuff. and access it later for use.

that would free up a lot of memory on the D, F and G drives. still my C and E drives with loads of programs are still not even 25% free! :(

actually i am on activescan site now. it downloaded some stuff and is updating activescan 2.0

hmm its scanning now i think.

i will go to that link and uninstall norton, but after this scan's done.

btw i have a whole lot of stuff hanging around in folders on my comp! its not like i use it on a daily basis, but i might require it for some future use.

i need to know is there any free online storage facility wherein i can store some of this stuff. and access it later for use.

that would free up a lot of memory on the D, F and G drives. still my C and E drives with loads of programs are still not even 25% free! :(

Your best bet for storage is to buy yourself a nice external usb drive, any size you could ever use and their cheap.

Go to your local PC store website search the sales and there you go :)

and external usb drive can store depending on its capacity all of my information right?

what abt my programs?

btw i was looking at something along the lines of Mozy. i have a lot of pictures and documents on my comp.

Well, yes, depending on how much information we're talking you may need a few but I doubt it, you can buy 1.5 TB external USB drives for like 100 U.S. all your programs and media can reside here and easily accessed by your pc.

hmm by the active scan has detected so far 24 infected files out of total files scaned till now abt.. 172117 and its still scanning abt 34% done yet.

just a general question for my information.

1. how does all this malware/infection get on the comp inspite of firewalls and all being present.

2. can enough of these infections cause such slowing down, startup, network problems?

3. whats the best way to stay safe for a novice like me?

4. what is meant by a crash? can it happen in my case?

hmm by the active scan has detected so far 24 infected files out of total files scaned till now abt.. 172117 and its still scanning abt 34% done yet.

just a general question for my information.

1. how does all this malware/infection get on the comp inspite of firewalls and all being present.

2. can enough of these infections cause such slowing down, startup, network problems?

3. whats the best way to stay safe for a novice like me?

4. what is meant by a crash? can it happen in my case?

1. firewalls are meant to keep un requested packets out of your machine and keep unwanted visiters from entering.
But Virus's and Malware act as a secret agent trying to mask it's self as a good packet so they can easily get past your firewall.. thats where a good AV/Malware engine comes in and catches those punk *** AV and Malware and crushes them into small bits of dust ;)

2. Yes

3. Read this http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/tech-forums-top-rated-antivirus-167005/

4. a crash is when your computer locks up or reboots with out warning.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom