Had 2 XP OS's to boot, deleted one...but still trys to dual boot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to BoysNightOut
Default Had 2 XP OS's to boot, deleted one...but still trys to dual boot

I'm pretty sure I have to remake my boot directory on this one.

I was testing a NLite version Windows Install I created for myself yesterday and installed it on my third HDD in my machine. So it was a dual boot machine then. Well after testing I went ahead and just formatted the HDD again and cleared off the new Windows data on the disk. Well now upon rebooting it still wants to dual boot of course...last time I had this issue with Linux as a second OS because it was a FAT file system I had to just reformat the whole **** PC to get one new boot directory.

Is there a way to clear off it's looking for the OS I loaded yesterday so it goes back to original how it was maybe? Or do I need to reload Windows allover again to fix it...is there a registry ability to edit perhaps?

I guess if it comes down to it, I can setup my 1st HDD again with my new Windows CD I created as it is only 235MB and much smaller/faster than my stock 570MB one currently...

Old 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Modify your Boot.INI file. Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced Tab --> Click on 'Settings' under "Start Up & Recovery" --> Click 'Edit' Beside "To edit startptions up ofile manually, click edit" Remove the NLite version of Windows from that, and you should be done, just make sure you remove the right one.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

And yea, make sure you double-check the jumper settings while you're at it. Make sure the Windows drive is Master, data one is Slave.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

or u can run msconfig and click the boot.ini tab and click check all boot paths and it will remove the dead one
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce
or u can run msconfig and click the boot.ini tab and click check all boot paths and it will remove the dead one
Good idea, I didn't think of that.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to BoysNightOut

So wow that was easy as pie.

I'll tellya how it works! Easy as pie is how it works!

Thanks for the help all. Worked immediately!

Closed Thread