Group Policy Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalhead666

Solid State Member
Hey, I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 at home but often have friends over that like to use my computer. I would like them to be able to do things like use the internet, listen to music, watch videos, play games etc... but I don't trust them to not accidentally do something stupid that screws up my comp, like changing settings, installing programs, and deleting certain files. I know that you can use the group policy editor to change options on all sorts of different levels, but what I can't seem to figure out is how to use the group policy editor to edit just the policies for a certain user or user group. Whenever I make any changes under the Local Computer Policy -- User Configuration, it makes the changes to all user accounts, including mine (I am logged in w/ admin priviliges). This is completely useless to me. I do not want to limit my own access. I want to limit the access of others who log in to my computer using the guest account I created.

So basically all I really need to know is how to edit security settings for individual users or certain groups, like removing access to the control panel to guest users, or removing access to desktop properties to a specific user or group.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. This kind of stuff confuses the heck out of me. Thanx.

ok, I was wrong. When I do make any change under the User Configuration in the Local Security Policy it only affects my current account I am logged in under, not all the accounts. This still is completely usless to me though. I need to change the settings for specific user accounts/ groups on my PC. I know this topic may seem stupid but, I can't fvk'n figure this out. If someone can offer me helpful advice please do. Thank you very much.

You can not do this with a local policy editor it will affect all users as you have found. What I would reccomend is enabling the guest account and simply having them use that. It is locked down hardcore and saves some of the work for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom