"Grandpa Proof" a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockeyman2

Baseband Member
My grandfather is really interested in learning about the computer. He wants to get online, chat with his brother, and browse the internet. I have taught him alot of the basics, however, he will never get on the computer when I am not around because he is afraid that he will mess something up. I have told him many times that he won't mess anything up but it does no good. I was just wondering if there was a windows shell or some program that I could install on his computer that would simplify the interface. It would be great to get rid of everything but the bare essentials. Icons for internet, e-mail, messenger, and Word.

I just need something that I can setup that I can assure him that he cannot mess up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Nathan

The Senior Center I work at uses "Deep Freeze" - but it prevents ANYTHING from being permenantly saved to or removed (well, or altered as well) from the hard drive. Might not be what you're looking for...

Not exactly. I'm just looking for something to "hide" all the "complicated" things. Just to make it as simple as possible to ease his mind.

-Nathan

if there is a net cafe around where u live ask them what software they use. because net cafes usually have that shell where u can just launch a few programs but cant fiddle with things.

or create a different account which has very little priveleges and put all the important stuff on the desktop (word, internet, SOLITAIRE :p etc)

That sounds like something I could use. I've been looking but not having much success finding any online. Anyone know of any I could try?

-Nathan

just make his own account and delete everything on the desktop except what you want, make sure everything he needs has a link on the desktop so he doesnt hav to go anywhere else

If you really want to be cheap and lazy you can create a .bat file that has a menu for the programs he wants to use. Pretty ghetto but easy to code yourself in a pinch.

And while you are at it, you could make him a homepage for his browser with links to his most visited sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom