GPU BSOD

Yevrag35

Pushing Daisies on Saturn
It's not really a problem, but I wanna know why it happens.

I noticed that everytime I try refresh the Windows Peformance Index in the system properties, once the process gets to the windows encoding portion, the system blue screens.

STOP: 0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA80033AC4E0, 0xFFFFF8800F1AAA88, etc.)

the driver that fails is "nvlddmkm.sys"

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6200

Now as far as I know it only blue screens when doing the above mentioned.
Our company has many of these types of pc (all with the same components), but this particular one is the only one that is having issues.

I wish my Boss would let us buy new gpu's that ACTUALLY work with windows x64.

I've tried using a different (but same type of) gpu, completely wiped the nvidia drivers and reloaded using 3 different versions, but still the same results.

I'm very curious as to why this is happening...

Receiving Blue Screen on Boot up (0x00000116) - Microsoft Community

quoted

Answer

Andre.Ziegler replied on
October 14, 2010

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (Windows Debuggers)

Update the BIOS and the graphics driver. Also check if you have RAM issues. If nothing works, bring the laptop back to the store. This should not happen on a new laptop.

office politics said:
Update the BIOS and the graphics driver. Also check if you have RAM issues.
I believe the drivers (for once) are not the only problem here. I'll see where updating the BIOS gets me, and if it still doesn't work I'll check the RAM as well.

Make sure you've got the most current version of DirectX. I've seen this happen a couple times, and DX has been known to cause issues like this.

Maybe a stability test on the gpu is in order?
I've swapped the GPU already just to see if it was a faulty card, no dice.
s0l0m0n said:
Make sure you've got the most current version of DirectX. I've seen this happen a couple times, and DX has been known to cause issues like this.
I guess it couldn't hurt to try. I'll do that at work tomorrow.

Update on the BIOS and RAM.
BIOS updated, still happens.
RAM no problems were found with memtest86, and even swapped with known good RAM, still happens.
I've almost given up, and just going to tell my boss that I'm going to throw it away:grin:.

Download the latest drivers. When you install make sure to select Custom Install. There at the bottom check the box for Clean Install. Then do the install.

Another thing I do is go into the C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver directory and remove the old driver folder as well. This way there is no corruption from the various driver versions. You should only have the latest driver folder listed in there.

Download the latest drivers. When you install make sure to select Custom Install. There at the bottom check the box for Clean Install. Then do the install.

Another thing I do is go into the C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver directory and remove the old driver folder as well. This way there is no corruption from the various driver versions. You should only have the latest driver folder listed in there.
Everytime I uninstall the old drivers to try the new one, I manually go through and get rid of everything nvidia related.
-Program Files
-Program Files (x86)
-ProgramData
-UserData
-Software registries
-Wow6432node registries, etc.
I've tried nvidia's setup with the "clean installation" checked, and manually installing the driver through device manager and choosing the correct .inf

I've done this with three different verisons of the drivers:
and the latest 307.83

All of our other machines running 6200's are using the 306.97 version.

Back
Top Bottom