Got Windows 7 - Setup recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melorock

Baseband Member
Hey everyone. Currently got the 32bit (64 bit wouldn't work on DVD).

I want to do a clean install of the 64bit (using virtual clone drive and Windows 7 64bit). I want to do it right from the start and be done with it, but I got a few questions.

When Windows 7 for real comes out in October and I install it, will there be an "upgrade" feature where I don't lose my files? Like how the RC installed? Everything I do here will be permanent from here on out?

I have a laptop that has 320 GB of HDD space. I want to format and disk partition it. Right now I have 10 GB of recovery partition and the rest free. What would you recommend that I would disk part? Should I leave a certain space JUST for the OS, some for recovery, some maybe for a virtualization - where I can have a small OS test potentially hazardous/useless downloads? Any other ideas? I want to optimize and cover my rear, but I'm very inexperienced.

Can I download the drivers for my laptop afterwards? Such as fingerprint or etc.? Thankfully there is a site that has EVERY driver available. Good idea to get them all then organize them all in a folder?

What about activation afterwards?

I then plan to disk image my HD. Perfect time since there's nothing on there.

Any other ideas or recommendations? I will appreciate it!

What do you mean 64 Bit wouldnt work on DVD? It is just a hair over 3GB for that file.

If you are installing the RC Build then no.

It was stated that there is not going to be any upgrade option from the RC Build to the final build. I know for a fact i posted as much in the Win7 FAQ Thread.

So everything you do now, will have to be redone in Oct.

What do you plan on doing? Gaming? Just normal stuff like web browsing? Without that info we cant suggest what partition size to make as installing games will need more room.

The driver you should check NOW. Before you format and try to install Win7. Check Google, Bing and every other search engine to make sure they work NOW before you go to install it. FingerPrint readers are a bit problem for Win7 as the Vista drivers DO NOT work. You WILL NEED specific Win7 drivers for it which may not come out till Oct when Win7 does.

Activation of RC can take place at any time.

For some reason, installing the 64 bit would freeze the loading files. (2 different downloads, DVD burns) I think it had more to do with burning the DVD at the lowest possible speed than anything.

That's disappointing that the real Windows 7 won't upgrade/integrate into the exisiting RC.

I will update and look into the drivers immediatly.

I will play 1 or 2 games max. This computer is mostly for school but I want to experiment with some software.

So I'm thinking 40GB for OS, 30 GBs for games, 10 GB for recovery, 5 GBs for virtualization, and the rest for storage. Sounds like I'm not helping anything though.

Thanks

Win7 is to be installed for TESTING purposes only. It even says so in its EULA. It is not meant to be used as your Main OS or to be used in a production environment.

What Games? WoW or something that needs more space every year for expansion packs?

40 for the OS is alright, but you better pay close attention to where you are installing your software. I can tell you right now that installing a bunch of software and games can eat up space quickly.

I'll try and stay away from intensive games. Having alot of saves usually eats up most space right? I'll watch out for that. Thanks again

The saves dont eat up that much room. It is more the games themselves. I mean games can take up to 10GB of space to install now. So you should be very watchful of what games you install and how much space they use.

Some game saves can take up a lot fast. Depends on the game tho. Fallout 3 I know does, and the SIms games take up quite a bit as well.

Didnt know that. Of course most of those games are beyond my system so i cant try them out. :p

In my Fallout 3 save folder... 360MB with 89 game saves listed. Granted I don't overwrite my saves on that game, I just keep 'em going heh.

Well yeah if you dont overwrite. But that is still nothing compared to the amount of space that it takes for a install of the games does it? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom