Got a new computer today

Status
Not open for further replies.

92korea

Solid State Member
hey all today my mom went out and bought a computer randomly...
i dont know anything about computers, but luckily the setup was easy
now.. how do i keep this computer from becoming "bad"? like going slow. im gonna not download alot of stuff and just surf. (ill probably play some 2-3 games). Im not gonna get an anti virus(cant run certain things)

Also for my other computer... can i just get 2 modems? or do i have to buy a router...
what kind of modem/router should i buy?

Finally, i dont know how to use windows 7 very well... How can i check my computer stats? like RAM/video card.

She bought a HP Pavilion all-in-one MS225 PC from Fry's for 599.99(672 total after tax)
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-all-in/4505-3118_7-33949488.html

can anyone tell me if this was a good deal? + how good is it?

sorry for the long post , but i really would like answers and thank you!!!! :omg:

Hi there!

Some ways you can keep your computer running at it's best are disk defrag (Windows 7 is probably already set to do this weekly on it's own) occasionally running CCleaner (program that clears out history and temp files) and I don't know why you wouldn't want an anti virus, but you really should install something like Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a free anti virus/malware that seems to work really well. Also running MalwareBytes periodically is a good idea.

I'm assuming you have some form of high speed internet connection (cable, dsl, fios), so the best thing to do would be to get a router. I recommend Linksys.

To check your computers specs (though they are listed in the CNET article you linked to), you can go to start>control panel> system. This will show you your processor, and ram. It might show video card too, but if not you can go to start>control panel>device manager and expand the "Display adapters" field.

I wouldn't say it was a great deal. You can get better desktops for the price, but being an all-in-one is a space saver if that was a concern. If you had built your own system at that price you would have a much better system for sure.

Hope this helps you!

I would check here. After that i would use the search to find all the topics we have about routers. Cause opinions vary in that area. Some say LinkSys while others say D-Link and others say Belkin. Read about their experiences and make the best call for you.

To check specs, even easier. Cight click on Computer>Properties. That gives you the details. ;)

As said above, it is what it is. People here could have built a better machine for less. Pre-builts have a bad rep in the real tech community as you can always find the parts cheaper and built it yourself. It isnt a bad deal.

Hey guys thanks for the response. I actually downloaded a security program and looked at the stats- i guess the price is ok, i just dont know how to build a computer anywayas.

I have another problem now, a computer i got a few years ago ran much faster(windows XP) and i think the other one had less better stats, im not sure why this one is slower... is it because it is a windows 7? or is it because it came installed with all this crap like.. Ebay app, HP helper, Free trials App, internet radio etc..
how can i get rid of these? they are not listed in the programs.

Also: wont defragging the computer alot lower the lifespan?
OMG another Q : is it normal for the new comp to make alot of noises? whenever it starts up or randomly makes loud engine noises for a few secs.. maybe because it is a all in one?

It is because it came with all that crap.

Go here and run this program. That will help clear up the crap.

Defragging wont lower the lifespan that dramatically. Also Windows doesnt do it weekly. It does it when it sees that the system needs it. The new Defrag system is setup to monitor your hard drive and once it hits a certain fragmentation % it will then run the defrag program. So if you are not installing or uninstalling a lot of programs then the defrag wont run that often.

Those noises are most likely the fans. I would say that is normal. Being in such and enclosed space, there isnt much room to dampen the sound of the fans.

Defragging wont lower the lifespan that dramatically. Also Windows doesnt do it weekly. It does it when it sees that the system needs it. The new Defrag system is setup to monitor your hard drive and once it hits a certain fragmentation % it will then run the defrag program. So if you are not installing or uninstalling a lot of programs then the defrag wont run that often.

Those noises are most likely the fans. I would say that is normal. Being in such and enclosed space, there isnt much room to dampen the sound of the fans.
hey man thanks for your help =)

and the decrapifier was funny~ill download it :thumbsup:

for your old computer, I think the best way is to just backup everything you want saved. and reinstall windows :D
takes like 30 minutes and everything runs like new again

Iknew you where dodgy Mak, that decrapifier is malware!!!

Iknew you where dodgy Mak, that decrapifier is malware!!!

Show me an ounce of proof that this is malware. Funny you say that, yet i downloaded it, ran it while having MBAM, MSE and ComboFix run on the machine and yet i am STILL CLEAN.

Funny almost every site i see that has a review of it from CNet to PCWorld all give it high ratings. Yet here you are saying it is malware.

Wow would you look at that. It even has the Softpedia stamp of approval that it is spyware, and virus free. Would you look at that. It is even on CNet's Download.com as well which is noted for having clean software. Along with MajorGeeks.

Okay time for you to show proof. I have given 3 major sites which provide nothing but clean downloads. Where is your proof that this is malware? I want a reputable site. Trying to link to a site like fyxm.net is not going to work. That site has a overall BAD rating and is notorious for giving out bad information.

Also giving me a review from a person who can not guarantee that their system was CLEAN before they downloaded and installed the software isnt going to fly either. I seen those around as well.

So time to put your proof up. I have given more than enough to show that my suggestion is not malware nor is it shady.

Decrapifier (and ccleaner) are both great tools and I've used them many times before to get rid of the 'crap' that comes with your computer before putting on software that you actually need!

Never had a problem with either of them.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom