got a good one here

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok heres the deal. i got a customers pc, and it was one thing after another. so i got all the hardware problems fixed, and upgraded hdd, but just cloned the old one (it failed on me) and put it on a 80gb wd hdd. now the main problem is (its not hardware, on a clean install it screams like my hp) its just slow. ive disabled all startup programs and services in MSCONFIG, but nothing. i click on MY COMPUTER and i just get an hourglass and flashlight for about 15min then it shows the contents. it takes like 30 min to shut down, but the odd thing is the xp bar goes acrost 8 times, it was 20 on the old hdd.

i gave it 768mb of ram, from 256.
i gave it 80gb of hdd, from 60.
i gave it 350w of power, from 250.
i gave it a 1.8ghz p4, from 1.6.
i upgraded the hsf.
i upgraded the ide cables.
i upgraded the cd drive

**** i even did a barebone boot with just the essientalls and the 80gb (which was my old gaming drive, it rivals my sata drive) and yet its still slow. the whole time ive been typing this, its been goin with the hourglass and flashlight.

reinstallation is out of the question, they have got too many important documents on here, cookies, bookmarks, programs, etc. right now he is using a 366mhz 192mb 6gb laptop un....YES IT FINALLY WENT...till i get the pc back to him. wow that took 11min for my computer to open. ideas? i really need to get this thing out of here by tomorrow night. its 10:11 right now on wednesday, soo...i got 16hrs.

i even went and got diskeeper 2007 and completely did the drive....and still, its slowwww

ok let me throw in a twist. i went into msconfig, and put it on diagnostic startup, and it works perfect. right now im going to restart processing the system.ini and the win.ini files. if it still works, then i will go one by one with system services untill it does it, because i am pretty sure that is where the problem lies.

ok problem is in system services somewhere. is there a utility that i can use that will list off everything so i can put it here? because im a hardware tech, not that much on software.

and also which ones are essential for xp? like for visual styles, and ones that wont let windows error out trying to run something?

hmm. this brings me to wonder. would a repair install work? i just need to get this system to run pretty quick, by tomorow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom