Google Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

goddessraven

Beta member
This may sound silly, but I can't seem to get to the www.google.com website. I used to be able to, I even have the toolbar installed on my comp. The odd thing is, I can search through images on the toolbar, but I can't search google or even get to the site. When I try a page pops up that says it can't be displayed. I'm not sure what's causing this. Does anyone have any ideas, or have anything I can try to fix it? I have Windows XP and use IE 6. If you need more info, please let me know.

Raven

A_Zip1 said:
Hmm yeh this happens to me sumtimes with websites... i usually restart and its ok but yeh try http://www.googe.ca instead of .com

I've tried restarting, and I've tried using alternative site addresses for it. Nothing seems to work. I've done spyware scans and virus scans but I can't seem to find the cause. :-(

reinstall the latest google bar tool from google.com, don't install from a setup you downloaded a while ago. have you tried manually putting in google.com in the address bar?

goddessraven said:
Could that mean that her browser has been hijacked? If so, would Hijack This! be useful here?

I have used MyWebSearch and they seem to be a good search engine. They have a button on their homepage to make them the default search engine. How do you change the default search engine in your browser?

Dave :D

**DMo ways hi to raven**

yea, you might try running some spyware software such as ad-aware or something like that, i hate those things.

I've ran AdAware - it says I don't have anything. That was the first thing I did when this started happening.
I can't download the new google toolbar because I can't get to the google site at all. It doesn't matter if I type it in on my address bar or click on a link.
Should I try Hijack This?
Oh and, thank you all so much for responding. I really appreciate it!

Try entering the ip address for google.com
http://216.239.41.99

maybe this will get you to the site.

Also, take a look at the file called host in system32/drivers/etc
addresses can be redirected here, if you see anything in here with google.com in it, or just google, delete it.

By default this file contains this (windows 2000) :

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom