Good place to Download ISO's for Linux - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to slvrstang
Default Good place to Download ISO's for Linux

Preferably Redhat/fedora for an old PIII just to test it out, see how it works and such. And maybe for storing music.

Q6600 G0 @ 3.80ghz
MCR-320-->Dtek Fuzion V2-->Dtek Fuzion GFX2-->Swiftech MCP-655-->
Asus P5K deluxe
4x1gb Crucial Ballistix @ 846mhz 5-5-5-15
8800GT
3x 250gb HDDs
Hiper 580w
Coolermaster 690 w/ water cooling mods
3dmark06 - 15,602
SuperPi 1M - 12.421s
Old 09-09-2004, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO

Send a message via AIM to bobojuice Send a message via Yahoo to bobojuice

www.linuxiso.org

LETS DANCE!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

1. There's this thing called Google. It's really neat. You find it at www.google.com by typing that into your browser's address text box and hitting enter. You should try that now. Do it.

2. Now, type "redhat fedora" into the big text box right above the button that says "Google Search." Click on the "Google Search" button. (Move the mouse cursor until it is over the button and press the left [NOTE: NOT THE RIGHT] mouse button.)

3. Click on the very first link, Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat. That will take you to http://fedora.redhat.com/ {Click # 1} (NOTE: some wildly wreckless people would have just guessed that since Redhat is sponsoring the Fedora project, fedora.redhat.com is probably the site. It's a lot like guessing that quicktime.apple.com is Apple's web site for Quicktime, which they make or that Java from Sun Microsystems is at java.sun.com. Don't be like them. They make a lot of mistakes. I know.)

4. Scroll all the way down (using the sliding bar on the right. Left click on the bar and while holding down the left mouse button, drag the bar downward to move the page downward) until you see the paragraph titled (of all things), "Download". Alternatively, you can use the Page Down key on your keyboard, but only wussies use that.

5. You'll see a link (i.e., underlined text) in that paragraph named "download." Click it once. (Clicking twice will bring an end to the world as you know it.) {Click # 2}

6. Doing that scroll down thing again (see step 4), scroll down until you see a paragraph entitled "Downloading the ISO Images" come into view.

7. Click on the http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/2/i386/iso/ link if you have anything other than an AMD Athlon 64 or some other 64-bit processor. If you do have an Athlon 64, I despise you, and you should click on http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../2/x86_64/iso/ {Click #3 - Yes, I know this is getting monotonous.}

8. You will now come face to face with the Fedora download server page. You'll have to click (once and only once) on each of the files FC2-i386-disc1.iso, FC2-i386-disc2.iso, FC2-i386-disc3.iso, and FC2-i386-disc4.iso (for the not-a-AMD-Athlon-64) images. {Clicks 4 through 7. Will this madness never end?} IMPORTANT!!!: Whatever you do, don't click on the four links that have the letters "SRPMS" in them. Those are a blatent trick to catch the unaware. "SRPMS" stands for "Satan Rules the People at Microsoft Solutions."

9. Once you have the four iso images, you'll need to burn them to CDs and install from them. That is beyond the scope of this tutorial. Sorry.
CPU: Intel E6300(idle 35C/load 39C)
RAM: OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR2 800 MHz (4 x 1GB) 4-4-4-15-T1 (2.1v)
Hard Disk: Seagate 2x250GB SATA ST3250620AS in RAID1
Monitor: Mitsubishi DP900u
Graphics: BFG GeForce 8800GT PCI-E
Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400 4.1 speakers
Optical: LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM; Sony DRU-710A DVD-RW
Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Capricorn
1. There's this thing called Google. It's really neat. You find it at www.google.com by typing that into your browser's address text box and hitting enter. You should try that now. Do it.

2. Now, type "redhat fedora" into the big text box right above the button that says "Google Search." Click on the "Google Search" button. (Move the mouse cursor until it is over the button and press the left [NOTE: NOT THE RIGHT] mouse button.)

3. Click on the very first link, Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat. That will take you to http://fedora.redhat.com/ {Click # 1} (NOTE: some wildly wreckless people would have just guessed that since Redhat is sponsoring the Fedora project, fedora.redhat.com is probably the site. It's a lot like guessing that quicktime.apple.com is Apple's web site for Quicktime, which they make or that Java from Sun Microsystems is at java.sun.com. Don't be like them. They make a lot of mistakes. I know.

4. Scroll all the way down (using the sliding bar on the right. Left click on the bar and while holding down the left mouse button, drag the bar downward to move the page downward) until you see the paragraph titled (of all things), "Download". Alternatively, you can use the Page Down key on your keyboard, but only wussies use that.

5. You'll see a link (i.e., underlined text) in that paragraph named "download." Click it once. (Clicking twice will bring an end to the world as you know it.) {Click # 2}

6. Doing that scroll down thing again (see step 4), scroll down until you see a paragraph entitled "Downloading the ISO Images" come into view.

7. Click on the http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/2/i386/iso/ link if you have anything other than an AMD Athlon 64 or some other 64-bit processor. If you do have an Athlon 64, I despise you, and you should click on http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../2/x86_64/iso/ {Click #3 - Yes, I know this is getting monotonous.}

8. You will now come face to face with the Fedora download server page. You'll have to click (once and only once) on each of the files FC2-i386-disc1.iso, FC2-i386-disc2.iso, FC2-i386-disc3.iso, and FC2-i386-disc4.iso (for the not-a-AMD-Athlon-64) images. {Clicks 4 through 7; will this madness never end.}

9. Once you have the four iso images, you'll need to burn them to CDs and install from them. That is beyond the scope of this tutorial. Sorry.
thank you for being a jackass, i used google but the website you described doesn't have the DVD image, when i dled the DVD image it gave me a 70mb file which is obviously incorrect as it should be 4GB+

Q6600 G0 @ 3.80ghz
Asus P5K deluxe
8800GT
3x 250gb HDDs
Hiper 580w
3dmark06 - 15,602
SuperPi 1M - 12.421s
Old 09-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by slvrstang
thank you for being a jackass, i used google but the website you described doesn't have the DVD image, when i dled the DVD image it gave me a 70mb file which is obviously incorrect as it should be 4GB+
I'm not really a jackass, but thanks for being completely humorless in my response to a post that sounds so totally clueless. It's got to be the 10th one on here today that I found the answer to in under half a dozen clicks from the Google toolbar. Now, you might have mentioned that you tried xxx.com and got a bad download. Then we'd know that you gave it a good intelligent try, but ran into a legitimate problem.
CPU: Intel E6300(idle 35C/load 39C)
RAM: OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR2 800 MHz (4 x 1GB) 4-4-4-15-T1 (2.1v)
Hard Disk: Seagate 2x250GB SATA ST3250620AS in RAID1
Monitor: Mitsubishi DP900u
Graphics: BFG GeForce 8800GT PCI-E
Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400 4.1 speakers
Optical: LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM; Sony DRU-710A DVD-RW
Old 09-09-2004, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by bobojuice
www.linuxiso.org
thanks for a legitimate answer

downloading as we speak

Q6600 G0 @ 3.80ghz
Asus P5K deluxe
8800GT
3x 250gb HDDs
Hiper 580w
3dmark06 - 15,602
SuperPi 1M - 12.421s
Old 09-09-2004, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO

Send a message via AIM to bobojuice Send a message via Yahoo to bobojuice

NP dude.

LETS DANCE!!!
Closed Thread