A good firewall needed. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

Ahhh...the security of 2 hardware firewalls and multiple software firewall apps...

...Because lord knows there are so many people directly hacking your machine. You're such a desierable target, after-all. All that money to be made and secret information to gather from you.

Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

Shoobie you'd be suprised, crackers want trojans on your computer to turn it into a bot for their illegal purposes (DDOS, Spam, etc)

However, if you're a reasonable intelligent person a single hardware firewall should be all you ever need.

If you don't use IE (use Firefox or Opera) you've already elminated like 80% of the threat.

The rest is merely keeping your virus and spyware scanner up to date.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Overclocked to 3300+)
ASUS K8V-Deluxe
1GB PC3200 DDR
2x200GB Seagate SATA RAID 0
BFG 6800GT OC w\\128MB Ram
2x 19\" Samsung 930B LCDs
Old 04-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I got one hardware one. I got annoyed with software ones ages ago, they seem to be out to get me when there is a enemy in front of me.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 04-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

get a sonicwall
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 04-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well, most "things" trying to make your machine a zombie server...are robots...

Bots bounce pretty well off of anything. Not to mention that if yer box does become a zombie, it's pretty easy to tell.

Sometimes, I think all the security mainstream people take to protect themselves, is mostly overkill. If yer a server, fine. If yer a work machine, fine. If you're just a home-use gaming/web-surfing box, relax a little. Update your AV once a week, put a firewall up (any will do), and yer fine.

Remember the old adage..."The bank with the most deputies standing around it...is the one with the most money."

Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 04-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Very true, but I have a cisco router and almost nothing good on my PC

I am barely worried with antivirus since I installed XP every 2 weeks lately. Gotta quit that habbit.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

I use SystemSuite's Firewall along with the Firewall in my Linksys Router.
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-8150
16 GB Ram
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinyman

Now that is response!!!!Thanks to all for the info.Personally,I would like to use a hardware firewall for the security of the thing,but time does not permit and money does not allow right now.I've always used Zonealarm and haven't had too much trouble.I'm always looking for that "logical next step".Thanks again folks.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie

From my experience, I'd say that a hardware firewall is good for external traffic (from outside coming in), and software firewalls are good for internal traffic (trojans etc.). Most h/w firewalls, unless you check very carefully, don't really check for internal traffic (stuff going out). You get a trojan and you are dead. The "free" zonealarm is also not great for sohpisticated trojans that can piggy back on programs on its "approved" list. I believe, zonealarm pro can handle this. There is also a program called Trojan Hunter that comes highly recommended - even though I am not using it.

It's good to have one of each. I'd go with the "free" zonealarm and a good h/w firewall that can do traffic monitoring. But if you are a paranoid person, a h/w firewall is MUST!..
Old 04-05-2005, 02:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I use a hardwall/software combination.
My software component is Sygate, which is much more configurable than Zonealarm. My hardware is in my router, which still allows for port forwarding for certain programs.

Closed Thread