a good firewall and anti-virus program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
s0me0ne , as far as i know routers can only block certain configured incoming ports. it have no application control like in software firewalls so a software firewall is a much better choice

it's good to have a software and hardware firewall. I've been telling people to get nod32 since forever

I use Computer Associates (now just CA) eTrust Internet Security suite. It includes a really good a/v (uses zip resources), a version of ZoneAlarm Pro, PestPatrol antispyware (I use it as a back-up, as I have that covered), and anti-spam (which i don't use, as I use webmails (Yahoo and Gmail).

I'm on my third year with this company, and I will be going for a fourth when the time for renewal comes.

I use a hardware firewall. IMO, it is a lot beter than most software firewalls.

and I have Antivir Personal Edition (v7 Beta)
it is light on resources, and works really well. it's also free.

one of my friends used to use Avast, but it expired a couple of months ago.
and just a couple of days ago, I recommended Antivir. he downloaded it, and once he installed it, the amount of virus detections he got was crazy.
a full scan deleted over 1500 viruses on his computer.
and just having it on guard mode before that deleted over 100

anyway, he learned his lesson the hard way.....

yeah i have a router too how do i make sure the firewall works on it and if it does will i have to turn it off to do somethings

not all routers have firewalls.

A easy way to check if your router firewall is working is to run a software firewall and get something/someone to scan your IP. If your hardware firewall is ok then you should get no hits on the software firewall.
There are web sites that provide security checking/scanning, use one of those maybe.

as an additional note i'd say dont rely on just a hardware firewall, they dont block any outgoing traffic and most common ones can be bypassed by a hacker.

I vote kaspersky AV and outpost firewall.

Quote:
yeah i have a router too how do i make sure the firewall works on it and if it does will i have to turn it off to do somethings

you shouldn't have to turn it off but you will probably need to add exception rules if you ever need anything to connect to you. I.e. if you host a direct connect game you need to add your opponents IP on the exception list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom