Good Defrag software...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Right now I use PerfectDisk7, I run it 2 times every night on both my HDDs. It's OK, but I was wondering if there's any better defragging software for cheap or free?

Thanks!

jonny_uk said:
yep.

Also you dont need to defrag that often, its pointless.

Once a week would be better;)

Once a month more like, unless you're doing continuous major program install/uninstall & continuous major file writing/deleting then its entirely pointless. Whats more its a significant extra amount of wear and tear on you HDD. Very bad idea.

P.s. I use diskKeeper

My PC gets used everyday, programming, gaming, anything you mention my PC gets used for.

I tell you what, it runs fast :D

mack said:
My PC gets used everyday, programming, gaming, anything you mention my PC gets used for.

I tell you what, it runs fast :D

I'm sure there are betterways to increase your performance... various XP tweaks E.g.

Disabling the last access timestamp so windows won't write to the HDD every time it reads a file: (command)
FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1

Force windows Kernal paging into RAM: (Reg key)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

Force window to use a large RAM system cache for your HDD: (Reg key) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

Disable the indexing service from services.msc (command)

And others, of course you could just get another HDD and RAID it.

MrCoffee said:
Once a month more like, unless you're doing continuous major program install/uninstall & continuous major file writing/deleting then its entirely pointless. Whats more its a significant extra amount of wear and tear on you HDD. Very bad idea.

P.s. I use diskKeeper

yeah i guess your right, since he said everyday i just automatically assumed he does all of what you said above, otherwise if hes a normal user then once a month or even longer.

Anyway, windows defrag tells you if it needs defragging or not anyway......

free scan? ill bet its one of those ones that says"you have 2000 thousands problems, purchase software to remove"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom