Going from vista to 7 and need some infos

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
Okay sooner or later (3-7 business days) I'm going to be upgrading from vista to 7 (not actual "upgrade" install).

As of know I have 2 partitions on my hard drive.

C: which has about 40gb for the OS and other small files that aren't that important

and

E: which I use as storage

My understanding of how partitions work is, only C will be erased and E will be the same as it has been. Is this how it would happen?

Any other things I should keep in mind when switching ? This is the first time I'll be switching OS's when there is something important that I need to keep (not really that important, just don't want to lose what's on my E partition)

Thats the jist of it. Just make sure to select the C: drive, sometimes it will default on another drive letter or partition so make sure not to just go zipping thru the install. Make sure to select the C: drive.

As long as you're careful read the info when it asks you about which drive to install to and don't spam Enter on the install you'll be fine.

Check the FAQ Thread. I have information in there and a link to the Upgrade Advisor which will tell you exactly what you need to do. First page has been updated repeatedly the past 3 days.

Check the FAQ Thread. I have information in there and a link to the Upgrade Advisor which will tell you exactly what you need to do. First page has been updated repeatedly the past 3 days.

great post! thanks :D

said harddrive space is an issue ( obviously...only like 700mb left after i downloaded windows 7)

and said a few programs (itunes, skype) should be uninstalled :| but what would that matter? Doesn't it clean the drive/partition before it installs?

It's just saying you need that much space to do the install along with unpacking the files and all that. You should really just wipe as much crap off the partition as you can before installing. It will wipe the partition but only when it gets to that step and it needs space sooner for all the install files and data archives.

It's just saying you need that much space to do the install along with unpacking the files and all that. You should really just wipe as much crap off the partition as you can before installing. It will wipe the partition but only when it gets to that step and it needs space sooner for all the install files and data archives.

ohhh okay..that makes sense

The Upgrade Advisor is a tool used to check your current software against what is known to work in Win7 right now. It does not differentiate between you formatting before you install or whatever the case may be. It is just used to test your system as is for a inplace upgrade to tell you what issues you will have after you get Win7 on.

The method used, be it format before or during the install will result in the drive being empty and the programs installed inconsequential. It is merely a reference to tell you what you have now, that wont work upon reinstall.

I'll just add my question to this thread.

I just got my free Windows 7 upgrade CD after buying Acer laptop with Windows Vista. Update seems to have gone well. Previously, I had used backup system to make copies of Vista.

My question now is....if my system crashes, do I need to reinstall Vista and then upgrade to 7? Or will this new CD install 7 directly? The CD says "Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Media", 32-bit software, support provided by Acer. Also came with another CD I used, entitled "Acer Upgrade DVD" containing Acer Upgrade Wizard and applications and drivers for 7.

So if system crashes, what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom