Going for Triple Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotor

Beta member
Hi guys, new here, hope you can help me out.

I have my 78GB Harddrive set up as follows:

Win98 4GB - Primary - FAT 32 - 2GB Used
WinXP 4GB - Primary - NTFS - 2.5GB Used
(*) - Extended (set by Partition Magic 8.0)
Local Drive D - 65GB - Logical - FAT32 - 24GB Used
Local Drive E - 5GB - Logical - FAT32 - 4GB Used

I use bootmagic to boot between Win98 and WinXP. Because D and E are both FAT32 they are visible within both OS's, but each OS can't see the other when active because Bootmagic turns the other OS Partition to 'Hidden'.

Now I need to install a THIRD partition believe it or not, another WinXP partition of about 4GB.
I can't reformat the drive. Here's my question:

Should I
a)insert the new partition after the other WinXP
or
b)put it after E.

"a" would be ideal, and I know that Partition Magic will boot to DOS and shift all the 'D' drive data as it's done before, but I concerned that because there is 24GB to shift that this will be dangerous to my data. Worried incase there is an error shifting so much.

"b" I'm not so sure about because if I did this then only 4GB of E should need shifted back, but would WinXP work ok being at the very end of the Hard Disk ?? If so this may be the best solution. The furtherest I have had WinXP 'into' the Drive is 30GB, after a large 30GB Win98 partition and it worked fine, but 74GB into the drive is another matter.

Quick note of why my drive is set like this as my friend called me stupid (which I may be). I have Win98 and WinXP cause I play both new games and old, from NFSUndergound in DX9 glory to old DOS games, so I have these two so I can get as many games running as possible. I have a large D so I can install the games here, and register them on both OS's but taking up half the room as installing them twice in 2 locations. The small E is incase I need to format for whatever reason I can shove important data here without needing to write a CDRW.

Any opinions etc would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks for the help.

Set the next primary after the XP partition.
But before you set this task in Partition Magic, of course, you'll have to resize D:. Resize it accordingly and then delete the extra partition and set a new patition after the XP partition. I've never had a problem relocating 30-80GB of data on a hard drive. BUT, with PM8.0 I WOULD CREATE BOOT DISKETTES! It's a little buggy....so just take precautionary measures.

-Mike

i have pm 8.02 is that buggy as well? i have it but havent really had to do ne partitioning with it yet its just there when i need it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom